This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 15 and alternatives

Finston Pickle

Sat May 11, 2019 7:13:22 pm

I'm still evaluating Zorin 15 as an alternative for my Zorin 9 and Zorin 12 laptops.

In the meantime I have read the unofficial guide to Zorin15 and read other comments about the changes to Zorin 15 - and problems with sound and lack of sudo, it seems.

I have tried Feren O/S on my old Windows XP desktop machine - installing it on the internal back up drive without any drama. As it is based on Ubuntu 18.04 and Linux Mint 19, as I understnd it, I thought that I would try Nautilus. I found that sudo no longer worked to raise authority (expected, from what I have heard) not was there any way to see hidden files that I can see. Is this the same in Zorin 15?

For what it is worth sudo and hidden fies can be seen by me in both the standard files manager in Feren O/S and Thunar.

It also seems that Feren is a rolling distribution with all data being carried over at LTS type upgrades.

More evidence to support Zorin15 in my Laptop machines, please.

Swarfendor437

Sun May 12, 2019 12:53:13 am

Finston Pickle wrote:I'm still evaluating Zorin 15 as an alternative for my Zorin 9 and Zorin 12 laptops.

In the meantime I have read the unofficial guide to Zorin15 and read other comments about the changes to Zorin 15 - and problems with sound and lack of sudo, it seems.

I have tried Feren O/S on my old Windows XP desktop machine - installing it on the internal back up drive without any drama. As it is based on Ubuntu 18.04 and Linux Mint 19, as I understnd it, I thought that I would try Nautilus. I found that sudo no longer worked to raise authority (expected, from what I have heard) not was there any way to see hidden files that I can see. Is this the same in Zorin 15?

For what it is worth sudo and hidden fies can be seen by me in both the standard files manager in Feren O/S and Thunar.

It also seems that Feren is a rolling distribution with all data being carried over at LTS type upgrades.

More evidence to support Zorin15 in my Laptop machines, please.

'sudo' works for me in Zorin 15 as does 'Ctrl+ H' to show hidden files in Zorin 15 - you aren't using autologin in 15 are you? ;) :D

Finston Pickle

Sun May 12, 2019 6:48:54 pm

Thanks, Swarf.

I think what I said was wrong - and I had forgotten the Ctrl-H trick to show hidden files (Feren files provides you with a button to press if you want to see hidden files).

I did get Gedit to work directly on Feren O/S after using a sudo nautilus, I think - maybe it was sudo thunar.

Finston Pickle

Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:56:16 pm

I have investigated Feren and found it very easy to have all my Zoring 12 laptop apps and settings on my desktop Windows XP PC (now dual boot with Feren).

I had no problems with sound, connecting to printers and getting the scale of things to look "right" was a breeze. I had so much trouble setting up my with Z 12 laptop - not so much with Z9.