This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to upgrade to kernel 3?

dancer_69

Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:06:26 pm

As the title says, I need kernel version from 3 and up for my tv card to work. So I want to upgrade the kernel to version 3. Is it possible?

dancer_69

Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:18:58 am

swarfendor437 wrote:I suspect you will have to wait for ZorinOS 6 to be released.

No, seems that doesn't
I've successfully updated to 3.2 version with help of a guide for update ubuntu 11.04 to kernel 3.2
This forum is too slow. Must wait a day for a moderator to aprove my thread, so to publish it(first time I saw this in a forum).
Until then I've already found an answer.
Thanks for your answer anyway.

dancer_69

Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:09:55 pm

Okay then, but this is not good for a new member. Obviously someone will register when install, or want to install the OS and in most cases will want to ask something. So this way gives big dissapointment. At least you could include the reason to the message appears before start a new thread, and maybe better to send an automatic email or PM in which you expain the reasons.

About the kernel, I'd already an idea on how to do it(it' s ubuntu after all), but I wanted to be sure and to use a specific for Zorin workaround if exists.
I like Zorin' s look so Far, and I prefer it from ubutnu' s or Mint' s. And I love compiz' s animations.

Wolfman

Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:07:41 pm

Hi,

I think if you install the packages "linux-firmware-nonfree" and "dvb-apps", also I would go for "gnome-dvb-client" and daemon; it should get your TV card going!!.

Sorry that you had to wait, all the mods are volunteers and don't get paid, we have no links to each apart from the forum and we don't know who is online unless we actually login ourselves.

Hope you get things sorted!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

dancer_69

Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:18:37 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

I think if you install the packages "linux-firmware-nonfree" and "dvb-apps", also I would go for "gnome-dvb-client" and daemon; it should get your TV card going!!.

Sorry that you had to wait, all the mods are volunteers and don't get paid, we have no links to each apart from the forum and we don't know who is online unless we actually login ourselves.

Hope you get things sorted!!.

My card haven' t support on 2.6x kernels. Support starts on 3x versions and after. I know that, and there is a way to make it work on 2.6x kernels, but it' s a painful procedure and I prefer to have the native support of 3x kernel.
Anyway I've managed to update the kernel to 3.2 version, so problem solved.

Wolfman

Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:11:27 am

Glad to hear you got it sorted. :D

Out of interest, what card is it. I ask so we can help others who also may have a problem with a DVB-T/S/C card.

dancer_69

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:54:50 am

It is pinnacle usb pctv hybrid 330e analog/digital tv card.
Kernels before 3x versions have partial suppord and digital tv doesn' t work and neither the remote control.
Still needed some actions to fully work(most for the remote control with lirc), but tv fully works after put the necessary firmware files in /lib/firmware

Wolfman

Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:55:39 pm

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=178&p=2191&hilit=medibuntu#p2191

Hi,

the above is bsically about multimedia in Ubuntu which requires the medibuntu repo to be active.

This in turn will give people access to the package (among other things) "linux-firmware-nonfree", this package has firmware for various DVB-T/S/C devices, whether your device is in the package; I cannot say!!.

Can you point us to the link where you got your firmware from just in case someone has the same device!!.

Thanks and regards Wolfman :D

dancer_69

Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:49:38 pm

Sorry, I don' t remember where I downloaded the firmware because I did a lot of research and try to many different things before a year until I'd succeed to make the card to fully work(analog, digital tv and remote control).
But I have these files on my pc and I can upload them here. I don' t know if I can on this forum though.