This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Nvidia Drivers AFTER Install

mdiemer

Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:43:56 am

I did not choose the "install with modern nvidia drivers" option, because my computer may be too old for the latest ones. I know the 340 or 304 series will work. What would be the best way to install them?

Thanks, Mike

chrissi55

Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:57:35 am

Maybe the Update Settings Menue will help you ...

See Screenshot

I prefer the nouveau drivers because with it i have less probs on startup and with apps like nextcloud-client e.g.

chrissi55

Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:06:55 am

....and (if no doubt) you can modify your apt repos by following this guide

-> https://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Grafikkarten/Nvidia/nvidia/

After that you have to install your drivers by terminal

1.Option
-> sudo apt-get install nvidia-YOUR-VERSION-HERE nvidia-settings
-> sudo apt-get install nvidia-340 nvidia-settings

2.Option (maybe better)

-> sudo ubuntu-drivers OPTION

OPTION
list
devices
autoinstall (installs any needed packages for your listed device)

Swarfendor437

Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:11:51 am

For a happier life, stick with Nouveau. Don't compromise you're software freedom with proprietary blobs! ;) :D

@mdiener. I discovered to my cost that my GT620 did not run satisfactorily with ZorinOS 15. The Linux Kernel that ships requires nVidia cards that support 410 and above - which means a minimum nVidia card of GT630. I have attempted to futureproof my rig for a short period by purchasing a low-end GT1030 from Zotac (2 Gb). ;)

That is why Zorin 15 comes with nVidia driver installs to cope with the 'newer' top end rigs - that's my take on it.

If this is going to cause issues on your partner's notebook which from another post you said had Mint on it, give FerenOS or Makulu Lindoz 15 a go. If you have computer with 1 Gb RAM then also give SparkyLinux 5.7.1 a go too - no issue with my SB sound card AND you can add DE's over the top of your choice!

Finally, E-live 3.0.6 - that has a sound configurator and even in live mode if on-board and vga hdmi sound card picked up it recognises you have multiple sound sources and asks you to choose which one to use. ;) :D

My Sound Card shows up in Zorin 15 Ultimate but plays no sound. I may have to consider moving to a different distro once all manuals are complete guys. :(

mdiemer

Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:01:32 pm

Thank you chrissi, I will check out the update settings menu. I did some searching and found last night the tutorial on installing nvidia in ubuntu but held off. I may decide to stay with noveau anyway.

mdiemer

Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:09:22 pm

Thank you Swarf. so far Z15 runs great on my GT5656, with GS8400 card. It also recognized my external audio interface (Steinberg UR-22), which I use on my music rig for music creation. but I just swap the usb cable from the front of one computer to the other, and I can use it on both, for great sound (I also have a pro level three piece speaker system). Interestingly, the sound is better on Z15 than my other systems. At least it seems that way. But it could be that I recently cleaned, and repositioned the speakers so there is more separation, and that may be the reason. Anyway, both sound and video work great on Z15.

As for the wife's laptop, it,s an i5 with 6 GB ram, and was running Kubuntu fine. Only problem was Kubuntu frequently had update problems. So I plan to replace it. I'll give Z15 a good trial run on my computer, which is several years older, and if it runs well, is stable, easy to use etc it will be a strong candidate for hers.

Edit: I think I will take your advice and stay with noveau drivers. They always seem to work fine, why bother with nvidia?

simonsaysthis

Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:10:14 pm

My advice, if you have an old Nvidia card and everything works, DONT CHANGE ANYTHING. I have a recent NVIDIA card and I am still struggling to get everything to work smoothly with proprietary drivers. Its a hit and miss, mostly because I also use HDMI out. For example, when you switch sound profile you have to restart the browser. After suspend HDMI out is no longer recognized until you restart xorg. This whole NVIDIA, HDMI situation is still wonky on all distros.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:18:04 pm

simonsaysthis wrote:My advice, if you have an old Nvidia card and everything works, DONT CHANGE ANYTHING. I have a recent NVIDIA card and I am still struggling to get everything to work smoothly with proprietary drivers. Its a hit and miss, mostly because I also use HDMI out. For example, when you switch sound profile you have to restart the browser. After suspend HDMI out is no longer recognized until you restart xorg. This whole NVIDIA, HDMI situation is still wonky on all distros.

It's not ultra modern but the 1030 works fine with Nouveau. :D