This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

screen brightness

junk666

Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:31:27 am

i recently swtiched to zorin from windows and i found out that i cant change the brightness with the buttons i used to be able to. i looked around but i could not find anywhere i could change the brightness. my screen brightness is really low and i want to change it. does anyone know how to change it, if its even possible? also yes, its a netbook specifically a samsung n150. ive treid the fm+up down button but it doesnt do anything. on the screen it says that the brightness is going up or down but its not. it just stays really dim.

Wolfman

Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:23:52 am

You need to give us a few more details about your PC, is it a Notebook or Netbook??. Normally were that the case, there is an FN key on the bottom left of your keyboard, in combination with this key, you can adjust the brightness using FN and F7 or F8. (Examples!!).

Regards Wolfman :D

bennylava

Sun May 22, 2016 5:52:11 am

Is there a better way to do this now? Shouldn't there be a slider somewhere where I can just adjust the brightness?

Swarfendor437

Sun May 22, 2016 11:46:20 am

Have you looked in System Settings | Brightness and Lock? ;) :D

bennylava

Mon May 23, 2016 2:42:08 am

Yeah there wasn't any slider or anything. Are we on the same version? I'm using OS9.

James tobin

Mon May 23, 2016 3:15:53 am

you dont have something like this on os 9?
note: snag.gy link may expire if this is an older thread

Swarfendor437

Tue May 24, 2016 9:26:00 pm

Interesting, not sure if in Ubuntu 14.04 but Brightness and Lock is where the slider should be according to this article:

https://www.maketecheasier.com/configur ... in-ubuntu/

There are other options listed in that interesting article - by the way is this a Desktop or a Notebook? If it is a desktop you will need to use the monitor controls - I just installed 'brightness-indicator' and it does not function unless it is a Notebook (Laptop is a misnomer!).

MBMz10

Thu May 26, 2016 6:55:28 pm

I used Zorin OS 9 (Ultimate) for some time and do not recall ever seeing the slider option that James Tobin is showing in the screen shot above! Or in the link from Swarfendor437
Below is my current screen shot in OS 11, that looks the same as I recall from OS 9.
Brightness and Lock Screen.jpg

I use Cairo Dock on Zorin OS 11 and it has an 'add on' called 'Luminosity'. Placing the mouse over the icon and rolling the mouse wheel changes the screen brightness. I am using a HD TV connected via a HDMI cable and it works ok. Not sure what it adjusts but see screen shots below. See mouse hovering over icon at the bottom of image.

0% or darkest setting
Luminosity 0.jpg

44% (default)
Luminosity 44 Default.jpg

100% brightest
Luminosity 100.jpg

Not sure how much the screen shots will show the change as I just looked at them but it makes a big difference sitting in front of the screen.

Just thought I would share this as an option for you. You could likely install Cairo just for this ability and only start it when you wanted to change brightness I would think!?

Swarfendor437

Thu May 26, 2016 7:54:59 pm

If it is a notebook the link I gave you should work - it adds a brightness setting on Cairo-Dock and Gnome Desktop but will not work for me as I am using a Desktop PC - Brightness is only there for Notebooks (Laptops to you!) :D

MBMz10

Thu May 26, 2016 9:27:32 pm

Mine is a Desktop, the Cairo setting (Luminosity) works on it BTW.
I might have to check out that link again...just for fun.