This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Notifcation indicator

nthanharding

Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:54:12 pm

Hello,

New (extremely happy) Zorin user here, so I may be missing something...

OS is working immaculately but I just need to understand if there is a indicator on the (touch) panel interface to indicate that there are notifications available in the date/time menu popup. i.e. in Windows there is a counter on a small icon to show there are notification to be read.

Is there (or could there be) maybe a simple round dot/circle to the left or right of the date/time to indicate notifications available in the menu. I know notifications "pop" on screen temporirarily, but beyond this, there is no indicator to show you've missed one until the date/time menu is clicked to reveal the notifications menu.

My idea/example:

Thank you.

Aravisian

Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:09:46 am

nthanharding,
Could you please try using dconf editor to adjust the indicator using the path:
net- launchpad - indicator- notifications
I could be wrong on this... But I believe you can use Gnome-Tweak by going to Extensions tab.
If Notification Indicator is not installed:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jconti/recent-notifications

Code:
sudo apt update && sudo apt install indicator-notifications

After you have installed it, launch the app. You can give it a quick test with:
Code:
notify-send 'test message'

Please speak up if this doesn't work.

I'm glad you are as happy with Zorin O.S. as I am. :)

nthanharding

Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:25:06 am

Thank you for the reply. I have both 'dconf editor' and 'indicator-notifications' installed with no problem.

Unfortunately, I cannot "launch the app". It doesn't not auto start on reboot/login and I cannot start via terminal with "indicator-notifcations". I found the advice to use "restart unity-panel-service" online and that doesn't work either.

Any idea to start the indicator plugin in the first place?

Thanks again!

Edit: Tweak tool also installed, but does not have option to load/show indicator.

Aravisian

Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:00:48 am

nthanharding wrote:Thank you for the reply. I have both 'dconf editor' and 'indicator-notifications' installed with no problem.

Unfortunately, I cannot "launch the app". It doesn't auto start on reboot/login and I cannot start via terminal with "indicator-notifcations". I found the advice to use "restart unity-panel-service" online and that doesn't work either.

Any idea to start the indicator plugin in the first place?

Thanks again!

Edit: Tweak tool also installed, but does not have option to load/show indicator.

The advice to restart Panel should work. Log out and log in should work.
Settings GUI, Notifications? Also, have you checked your Start Up Settings to ensure it is there?
Honestly, I don't have a clue how to start it manually. I tried looking it up to no avail. I am using an older version of Zorin and I do not ever use the notifications (I get nagged enough as it is).
I wonder if customizing your notifications may jump start the app. It's worth a shot, (I'd try it if it was me):
https://askubuntu.com/questions/128474/ ... ifications