This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin panel gone

Anandajoti

Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:59:12 am

I don't know why this happened, but after a while the Zorin panel stopped working normally, meaning that I wasn't getting previews, icons didn't appear when apps were running, etc.

When I restarted I had the normal top and bottom Ubuntu panels, but still apps do not appear when they are running, and neither do the previews.

I tried recovery mode and repairing broken packages, but it made to difference.

What should I do to fix this problem?

Wolfman

Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:16:02 am

Have you tried updating or re-installing the graphic card drivers??.

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:59:04 am

Which look are you using? Win7 or Gnome?

In any case, as I used to have a similar problem in a Win7 look, I found a quick solution as follows.

Go to start-up applications and add for the second time the application gnome-panel. As name and description write whatever you like (i.e. Panel).

This will load the panel twice at startup, so if it is not loaded correctly the first time, it will be loaded correctly the second time.

Ofcourse you do not see any of the above happening and you only get one panel loaded. :D

Hope this helps.

After changing to gnome look, I never had any problem with the panels.

Anandajoti

Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:00:13 pm

Many thanks madvinegar, it was the Look Changer that was messing up. I changed it to gnome, restarted, changed it back to win7, restarted, and everything is fine.

Anandajoti

Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:25:40 am

It happened again, and this time the whole panel disappeared, which is scary. After around 5 reboots, including repairs, I managed to bring up the panel on hover, and recovered the gnome panels.
Should say I am working in Zorin 4, and it may work better in 5 or 5.2, but that's quite an issue. Staying with gnome for now, but one of the main reasons I prefer Zorin is I don't like the normal gnome panel design.

madvinegar

Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:47:31 am

Have you tried this?

madvinegar wrote:
Go to start-up applications and add for the second time the application gnome-panel. As name and description write whatever you like (i.e. Panel).