This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 15 Ultimate Gestures

shevagr

Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:12:01 am

Hello, I am a new user to Zorin 15 Ultimate (just purchased it) and I have a problem getting the gestures to work. Tried to use the search function in the forum but nothing related to gestures showed up.

I tried the core version in a VM before buying it and the gestures were working nice in the VM.

Gestures on my laptop after the installation are not working.
I am trying to find the settings or the backend related to gestures but I cannot seem to find anything.

The only change I did to my machine was to install tweaks (did not change anything yet) and some other software and I also installed the open source nvida 430 drivers because machine was not shutting down.

If you need my machine's specs please tell me

Any help on how to debug and find where the gestures are? I could move to some other external software like fusuma but I would like to use the built in ones.

Thanks in advance.

[EDIT] Machine specs here:

Processor: Intel Core i7-8550U (Intel Core i7)
Graphics adapter: NVIDIA GeForce MX150 - 2048 MB, Core: 1252 - 1341 MHz, Memory: 1253 MHz, GDDR5, 382.64, Optimus
MemoryL 16384 MB, DDR4-2400 (10-10-10-28 CR1) Dual Channel
Display: 15.6 inch 16:9, 1920 x 1080 pixel 141 PPI, BOEhydis NV156FHM-N61, IPS, glossy: yes
Mainboard: Intel Sunrise Point-LP
Storage: Samsung PM961 MZVLW256HEHP, 256 GB, 256 GB SSD
Touchpad: Bus 001 Device 005: ID 04f3:0c1a Elan Microelectronics Corp

Aravisian

Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:14:17 am

shevagr wrote:Hello, I am a new user to Zorin 15 Ultimate (just purchased it) and I have a problem getting the gestures to work. Tried to use the search function in the forum but nothing related to gestures showed up.

I tried the core version in a VM before buying it and the gestures were working nice in the VM.

Gestures on my laptop after the installation are not working.
I am trying to find the settings or the backend related to gestures but I cannot seem to find anything.

The only change I did to my machine was to install tweaks (did not change anything yet) and some other software and I also installed the open source nvida 430 drivers because machine was not shutting down.

If you need my machine's specs please tell me

Any help on how to debug and find where the gestures are? I could move to some other external software like fusuma but I would like to use the built in ones.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, machine specs can help.
I wonder if a file was misplaced during the installation process. You might try a reinstall of libinput to start.
https://github.com/bulletmark/libinput-gestures
I am still pretty Novice on 12.4 and I have not done anything with trying out 15, yet. So, my reply is more a "hey, you are heard" reply than a "Here's your fix." At least it lets you know that you are heard and not ignored.
In the meantime, let's keep crawling the web looking to see if others have had similar issues and what solutions they have found.

shevagr

Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:40:23 am

Aravisian wrote:Yes, machine specs can help.
I wonder if a file was misplaced during the installation process. You might try a reinstall of libinput to start.
https://github.com/bulletmark/libinput-gestures
I am still pretty Novice on 12.4 and I have not done anything with trying out 15, yet. So, my reply is more a "hey, you are heard" reply than a "Here's your fix." At least it lets you know that you are heard and not ignored.
In the meantime, let's keep crawling the web looking to see if others have had similar issues and what solutions they have found.

Put my machine specs.
I tried to add my user to input group, install xdotool and installed libinput-tools via sudo apt install libiput-tools
Nothing works

I have to mention here that I did hard reboots from the button until I installed my gpu drivers. This is a common problem in ubuntu 18.04 also. I did this after finishing with installation and I doubt this is the problem, but Im mentioning it just in case

Also is there any piece of software to adjust or tweak these gestures apart from installing libinput?

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:57:44 am

Please read this askubuntu thread - may mean logging in to 'Zorin on Wayland' (EUGGHH!) - When you select your username at login prompt and password field appears you will see a cog - change that to Wayland. Good Luck!

Here is the thread:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1034624 ... -18-04-lts

shevagr

Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:32:26 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Please read this askubuntu thread - may mean logging in to 'Zorin on Wayland' (EUGGHH!) - When you select your username at login prompt and password field appears you will see a cog - change that to Wayland. Good Luck!

Here is the thread:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1034624 ... -18-04-lts

Oh my bad I thought there were gestures enabled by default (at least thats what I've seen in the ad). I know that wayland supports gestures out of the box but it doesn't work with many apps so it's a no go.
In ubuntu 19.04 there has been nice work to make the gestures responsive and cool looking like macos but still wayland is wayland.
I managed to install fusuma and make it work.

Thanks for the info.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:53:07 am

Glad you are partially sorted... and you have the same disregard for Wayland as I do. ;)