This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] Broke the window manager

TwoCanes

Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:58:55 pm

Hi,

I installed Zorin OS 15 with no problems. I wanted to use xscreensaver exclusively, so after reading that I needed
to turn some things off using gnome-tweak-tool, I did so. Bad idea.

Now the window manager does not work. Is there anything I can remove to untweak the gnome tweaks?

Using "startx" gives me a pretty blue screen with a cursor that moves, but no windows/menus/options available.

-Kevin

Swarfendor437

Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:02:57 pm

Hi, is Zorin 15 the only OS on this rig? ;)

TwoCanes

Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:18:58 pm

It is now. ;-)

I can boot from the Zorin 15 Ultimate DVD, but I'm not sure how I can fix it from there.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:13:33 am

Hi, First please hold the left shift key as you boot the computer to see GRUB and then choose advanced mode and select recovery option. Be sure you have a wired connection to the Internet. When you get to see the red recovery menu, first select Enable networking and then run DPKG - this will check for any missing packages needed to run Zorin correctly. After DPKG has completed turn off the machine and reboot. Keep us posted.

TwoCanes

Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:39:03 pm

Sure wish I'd seen your reply before I re-installed. ;) Did not know Zorin used
grub, I'd always before seen grub just come up before Ubuntu booted. I'll try the
procedure just for future reference.

Anyway, it was probably a missing library or two I deleted during an over-zealous
cleansing of some packages I installed manually.

Thanks for your help,

-K

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:39:14 pm

OK, glad you are sorted. Basically, if Zorin (same for other distributions based off Ubuntu) are the only OS then GRUB is hidden at boot and the only way to get it to show is to hold the left Shift key during boot. ;) :D

Will mark thread as [RESOLVED]