This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Uninstalled Firefox But Keep Getting Updates

mdiemer

Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:12:20 pm

I uninstalled Firefox in an effort stop getting updates for language packs. But even with Firefox gone, I still get the updates. Is there a way to stop this? I am unchecking those updates, but they keep reappearing, every time updates runs. I have looked around in update settings, but there is no way I can see to stop this annoying behavior.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:20:46 pm

Hi mdiener,

Open synaptic package manager and search for 'firefox-locale-xx' - Mark all of them that have the green square lit for removal and apply - that should cure it. ;) :D

Forgot to say after you have done the search, click on the 'S' at the top of the check mark column - this will put all of the installed stuff to do with Firefox at the top of the synaptic window - then right click each one and select 'Remove' and then 'Apply' - saves you scrolling - I've still got Firefox but got rid of all the other mess it brings with it so you've inadvertently helped me at the same time! ;) :D

mdiemer

Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:50:23 am

Thanks Swarf, but when I do that search, nothing comes up.
But I'm glad to have helped you out (which may be a first, so savor it).

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:52:56 am

OK, make sure your updates come from Main Server, reinstall Firefox then see if the locales show up then select all locales for removal in Synaptic and also remove Firefox using Synaptic. I tried to see if there were any certificates like there usually is with Google Chrome that's when I hit on the idea of using Synaptic. ;) :D

Aravisian

Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:57:16 am

mdiemer wrote:Thanks Swarf, but when I do that search, nothing comes up.
But I'm glad to have helped you out (which may be a first, so savor it).

It helped me out, too
Because:
Swarfendor437 wrote: click on the 'S' at the top of the check mark column - this will put all of the installed stuff to do with Firefox at the top of the synaptic window - then right click each one and select 'Remove' and then 'Apply' - saves you scrolling - I've still got Firefox but got rid of all the other mess it brings with it so you've inadvertently helped me at the same time! ;) :D

I never knew this and this is good to know.