This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

xscreensaver problem

TwoCanes

Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:55:30 pm

I'm running Zorin 15 OS on my desktop PC and my laptop.

My laptop runs xscreensaver with no problems, my PC continues, whenever
it is idle long enough, to show the splash screen that has to be moused up
to reveal the desktop...no joy on the xscreensaver.

I used dconf-editor to turn off the ubuntu-lock-on-suspend found in
org-gnome-desktop-screensaver and all other settings are the same for both
systems afaik. The gnome-screensaver is not installed on either system.

The power settings are different for each system, but the Automatic suspend
is disabled on the PC and "When on battery power" for the laptop.

Both systems were installed within hours of each other the same way with
the same Zorin.

-Kevin

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:09:16 pm

Have you gone into Settings | Privacy? Try turning Screenlock to OFF there - that is what i have got mine set to. I have installed xscreensaver but only some screensavers work - I think the way Ubuntu and Gnome have moved on is making xscreensaver redundant - I did manage to crash the display with one screensaver if memory serves me correctly. Only 19 screensavers are installed/installable under 18.04.2 (Zorin 15):

xscreensaverwarning.jpg

fiberlamp.jpg

TwoCanes

Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:53:02 pm

Settings - Privacy - Screenlock = Off

No joy.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:31:09 pm

Well it's working for me. Are your software updates pointing to Main Server instead of server based in your country?

TwoCanes

Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:30:55 am

Well, er, um, uh...it's like this. :) I went to change that setting [Settings - Privacy - Screenlock = Off] but it was already set to off. So I might have turned it on and the resulting dialog let me turn off [Automatic Screen Lock], which I think was on. Didn't think much of it, but that might have been the trick.

So during the night, my system had crashed trying to use the xscreenserver PONG. There it was on my screen, the
oldest computer game ever, the very first-est and the one we had to play on the television set, PONG..frozen.

After I rebooted and did more important stuff for awhile, I fired up xsceensaver to blank after 1 minute and walked away
for a few minutes and when I got back it was using the screensaver with no problems...so far.

Not sure what I did to fix it or if it was just gremlins messing with me.

Been using xscreensaver for...ever. Best looking screen savers out there, so, yeah.

Thanks for your help,
-Kevin

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:07:24 pm

Also don't log into Wayland as xscreensaver was for xorg display. ;) :D