This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Windows Office Excel files into LibreOffice Calc Read Only

hurkeybird

Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:09:11 am

I've been using LibreOffice Calc with my Windows Excel files for over a week with no problem. All of a sudden LibreOffice Calc loads them in as Read Only. What can I do to get it into read/write mode again? I'm using Zonrin OS 15 Core.

Aravisian

Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:34:10 am

hurkeybird wrote:I've been using LibreOffice Calc with my Windows Excel files for over a week with no problem. All of a sudden LibreOffice Calc loads them in as Read Only. What can I do to get it into read/write mode again? I'm using Zonrin OS 15 Core.

Hurkey, with LibreOffice, edit mode is not enabled by default.
https://help.libreoffice.org/Common/Edit_File
Selecting edit mode each time will enable read/write, but may get annoying...
So,
I tried looking up a way to enable it at the outset and almost every answer I found dealt with LibreOffice being used on Windows.
There was this:-
https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question ... y-default/
-that may help you.

I'll keep looking. I don't use LibreOffice very much. I prefer other ways. Come to think of it, I barely ever used MS Office much. Especially after the .docx fiasco...

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:22:45 am

.docx fiasco - personal or global? ;)

Aravisian

Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:11:19 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:docx fiasco - personal or global? ;)

heh heh...
I always lagged behind. When everyone else rushed to 'upgrade' to the latest and greatest, I rushed to Stay Put.
I finally took the plunge and 'upgraded" to Office 2003 in 2012. Or was it Office 2000? I don't remember.
Then, I needed to work with a .docx file and thus followed a Series of Unfortunate Events as I did everything I could to wriggle out of upgrading office and still getting the work done. In the end, my workarounds and patches succeeded and I still was using Office 2003 right up until I made the move to Zorin OS this past January.
Ah, that machine, the memories... When parts of the Motherboard went kaput, I soldered new components on to it. When the graphics went out, I soldered on a set and port and put in the graphics card that way. I had to remove the casing in order to accommodate the added material sticking out at odd angles. S.G. called it "The Dinosaur". And like any reasonable and sane Dino, it decided to skip the extinction event and keep on ticking.
I made the move to Linux (Zorin OS 12.4) when the hard drive went out on it and I decided to make the Asus notebook my primary machine. The motherboard is still working and I can boot up the machine by sliding in my old XP Hard drive. I didn't have what it takes to haul it off as scrap. I boxed it up and it resides in my attic.
Because one day, the Smithsonian will want it.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:12:38 pm

I had a bad experience with 2007 - the 'training' was an informal chat - waste of time - it sent me into deep depression as in Office 2003 I could remove a line that appeared in the document easily with Borders menu command - in 2007 it took me over half an hour to prepare a document that would have taken 10 minutes in 2003. Another ,docx fiasco of 2007 was printing an image with a textbox in front - it would print the image and the outline of the text box but nothing in it! Solved by saving to Office 97-2003 format - which is my default setting at work. Interestingly, LibreOffice .docx variant is more efficient than MS shaving 25% off the same document produced in that other Office Suite! :lol:

hurkeybird

Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:06:27 pm

Clicking edit mode allows me to change the spreadsheet but I still can't save it. What good does it do to allow me to modify if I can't save my changes?

Aravisian

Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:03:36 pm

hurkeybird wrote:Clicking edit mode allows me to change the spreadsheet but I still can't save it. What good does it do to allow me to modify if I can't save my changes?

It does you no good.

I am sure there is a way, however. With my complete lack of experience with libreoffice, I probably will give poor suggestions rather than helpfully steer you in the right direction at this point.
Hopefully Swarfendor can help. After-all
The Swarf is strong with this one.