This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Gnome and Zeitgeist fully integrated?

Aravisian

Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:14:16 am

From what I am reading, it appears that canonical has Gnome 3 and Nautilus integrated with Zeitgeist.
If you want to completely purge Zeitgeist from your Ubuntu (Or many other Distro's using Gnome) operated machine, you must remove the Desktop.
Many walk-throughs are available to remove Gnome and install Unity Desktop (I am thinking about trying that out) or XFCE desktop. You might choose KDE, making your distro similar to Kubuntu.
On topic for this Forum; Zorin OS 15Lite may offer a way of totally removing Zeitgeist.

Zeitgeist is tracker-software that stores your keystrokes, file locations etc, supposedly to help speedup processing and deliver convenience. Many folks, self included, see it as Spyware that poses a security risk. Even if it is currently NOT being used as spyware (Cross your fingers) it is only a matter of time until it will be. Cha-ching...
Fully integrating it into a desktop is a step in that direction. Way ta go, Buntu...

Personally,I do not like Gnome 3. Gnome prior to 3.10 allowed far more user freedom and control. It allowed far more customization. Back then, themers rose up, ported themes into Gnome, offered up custom GnoMenu's and usage was easy and easy to learn.
But Gnome 3 is more like Microsoft: Complex, serious learning required and an attitude of "Just trust us. No need to check... Don't worry about learning how it works. Take what we give and LIKE it. Or else."

Even so, any tips on Disabling/removing Zeitgeist on Gnome for Zorin OS 15?
I have it disabled on 12.4 core. (I thought I removed it, but upon checking, I could only disable it.)
Again,other options include waiting on 15 Lite or installing the Unity Desktop and removing Gnome.

Aravisian

Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:52:06 pm

Redirect to this thread and supplied response:
viewtopic.php?f=10&p=64753

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:23:59 am

Don't install Unity unless you want Amazon spyware include with its Lens. You have been warned! Unity and Lens packages are what got removed with Zeitgeist! :) :D