This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Make Windows Documents Accessible in Zorin

mdiemer

Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:30:18 am

Another issue regarding my wife's laptop. I need to a quick way for her to open documents on the Windows drive (this is a dual-boot with Windows 7). Right now, there is a folder named "Sharon," which currently has her email contacts (.crv files). I can't figure out how to use this folder to also open her documents. Or create a new folder that Zorin will see. Probably the latter would be best.

I know how to mount the Windows drive and open its contents. but currently, Zorin can't see her documents, only the crv files.

Thanks, mike

Aravisian

Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:39:03 am

mdiemer wrote:Another issue regarding my wife's laptop. I need to a quick way for her to open documents on the Windows drive (this is a dual-boot with Windows 7). Right now, there is a folder named "Sharon," which currently has her email contacts (.crv files). I can't figure out how to use this folder to also open her documents. Or create a new folder that Zorin will see. Probably the latter would be best.

I know how to mount the Windows drive and open its contents. but currently, Zorin can't see her documents, only the crv files.

Thanks, mike

Can you create a symlink to it?

EDIT: I posted too fast without fully reading and comprehending. I was thinking windows documents in WINE. In which case, a symlink would work.
Yet, you clearly state: Dual Boot System.
-facepalm-
This is what Aravisian reading comprehension looks like today folks... Leaving my jaw dropping dumb comment for the record (and entertainment value) and buzzing off to see if i can find any resources online that may help.

Edit 2:
Maybe this can help:
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/35807/h ... nd-ubuntu/

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:35:33 am

Just remember that in Windows when you enable file sharing the one item that is not ticked by default when sharing is enabled is... 'Documents'. :) :D

mdiemer

Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:06:23 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Just remember that in Windows when you enable file sharing the one item that is not ticked by default when sharing is enabled is... 'Documents'. :) :D

Thanks Swarf! Amazing you still know that.

Another thing I thought of as a workaround: have her save her docs on a DVD, then they will be available to Zorin. I could also have her use a scandisk for photos for same workaround.

mdiemer

Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:09:36 pm

Aravisian wrote:
mdiemer wrote:Another issue regarding my wife's laptop. I need to a quick way for her to open documents on the Windows drive (this is a dual-boot with Windows 7). Right now, there is a folder named "Sharon," which currently has her email contacts (.crv files). I can't figure out how to use this folder to also open her documents. Or create a new folder that Zorin will see. Probably the latter would be best.

Thanks, mike

Can you create a symlink to it?

EDIT: I posted too fast without fully reading and comprehending. I was thinking windows documents in WINE. In which case, a symlink would work.
Yet, you clearly state: Dual Boot System.
-facepalm-
This is what Aravisian reading comprehension looks like today folks... Leaving my jaw dropping dumb comment for the record (and entertainment value) and buzzing off to see if i can find any resources online that may help.

Edit 2:
Maybe this can help:
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/35807/h ... nd-ubuntu/

No mea culpas needed, you're a great source of help here.

That's a great tutorial. I love that website, use it all the time.

BTW I'm having same kind of day, can'y think or type worth s**t.

mdiemer

Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:29:54 am

The DVD idea is working great, once I figured out that her documents folder is over 50 GB. She puts everything in there, including pictures, of which she has a boatload. So, I just opened MS Office and copied all her word docs, then Excel docs, onto the DVD, and there is still plenty of room left on the DVD (BVD actually, which I always thought was an underwear brand).

This is working well. She just saves all new or changed docs, making sure to close the DVD properly so it will work on other computers, and then she has it all available on Zorin. Plus, now she has her docs saved on a DVD. Very handy. Just like her husband.

Aravisian

Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:16:46 am

mdiemer wrote:The DVD idea is working great, once I figured out that her documents folder is over 50 GB. She puts everything in there, including pictures, of which she has a boatload. So, I just opened MS Office and copied all her word docs, then Excel docs, onto the DVD, and there is still plenty of room left on the DVD (BVD actually, which I always thought was an underwear brand).

This is working well. She just saves all new or changed docs, making sure to close the DVD properly so it will work on other computers, and then she has it all available on Zorin. Plus, now she has her docs saved on a DVD. Very handy. Just like her husband.

I move everything back and forth using Pcloud.
Signing in creates a folder in my home folder that acts like my Documetns folder. It's like a flash drive I never touch. Now, my needs are small and simple, I am only using 5 gigs which falls well into the Free Category. I don't store ALL my stuff there, just whatever I am moving around. It really makes it absurdly easy. If you want more than that you gotta pay up, but that is true with any cloud. At least any cloud worth something, unlike mscloud and google drive both of which mix up and mangle my documents and I will never use again.
I'm just saying... If using the DVD method... have a back up.

I've pulled impossible feats damaging CD/DVD disks that to this day cannot be explained by science.

mdiemer

Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:07:46 pm

Aravisian wrote:I move everything back and forth using Pcloud.
Signing in creates a folder in my home folder that acts like my Documetns folder. It's like a flash drive I never touch. Now, my needs are small and simple, I am only using 5 gigs which falls well into the Free Category. I don't store ALL my stuff there, just whatever I am moving around. It really makes it absurdly easy. If you want more than that you gotta pay up, but that is true with any cloud. At least any cloud worth something, unlike mscloud and google drive both of which mix up and mangle my documents and I will never use again.

I've pulled impossible feats damaging CD/DVD disks that to this day cannot be explained by science.

That's a great idea. I will consider it. I use Box.com, which gives you 10 free GB. I mainly out my music on there, but some other odds and ends as well. Having that DVD always in the case may burn something out eventually, so this is well worth looking into. I believe she already has Dropbox, but she may have already maxed that out with her pictures.

Aravisian

Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:06:48 pm

mdiemer wrote:

That's a great idea. I will consider it. I use Box.com, which gives you 10 free GB. I mainly out my music on there, but some other odds and ends as well. Having that DVD always in the case may burn something out eventually, so this is well worth looking into. I believe she already has Dropbox, but she may have already maxed that out with her pictures.

Which actually brings us back to "Here honey. Take it and like it."
I could be wrong... In fact... I hate to admit how possible that is.
But... Once she starts using Linux Alternatives and learns and gets used to things, especially if moving docs around is a PITA, she may start letting go of MS on her own.
It's getting past that first resistance hurdle is all. At first it'll be "But the file format..." Time tends to solve the problem in spite of our best thought out plans.
So, when I said the above, it was said with humor. But not entirely in jest.

I was worried about the compatability and all the MS stuff untilI got it all transferred over and found I didn't need it. There are TWO programs I will run on Wine.
American McGees Alice and ProScanXL. Currently, I have no choice. Everything else has been replaced. Even when I had to learn how to use something new.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:28:33 pm

mdiemer wrote:

Same here, I use Box.com to and am please how smooth the manuals I have written load from there. ;) :D