This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] - How do I remove a drive from my boot menu?

hurkeybird

Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:08:26 pm

I'm using Zorin 15 os core dual boot with Windows 10. I have a 2nd Windows 10 hard drive that Windows 10 is corrupted so it will not boot. I have it so I can still access the data files on it. Because it has an OS on it (even though it is not bootable) it shows up in the boot menu. I would like to remove it from the boot menu. Can this be done and if so, how?

I finally got Grub-Customizer installed and was able to remove the extra boot option. Thanks to everyone who helped

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:25:56 pm

By boot Menu is this GRUB?

hurkeybird

Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:30:31 pm

What is GRUB? I'm new to Linux but I would guess you figured that out already. LOL.

hurkeybird

Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:43:27 pm

When I power on my computer it comes to a screen showing several boot options. The top one is Zorin 15 OS core then several other Zorin options, safe mode etc. then two Windows 10 options (with identical descriptions)at the bottom. If I do nothing after a few seconds it boots to the top listing of Zorin. I would like to remove one of the Windows 10 options.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:40:48 pm

I would advise you use GRUB customizer:

https://ahmedsheme.wordpress.com/2018/0 ... on-ubuntu/

Aravisian

Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:41:34 pm

hurkeybird wrote:When I power on my computer it comes to a screen showing several boot options. The top one is Zorin 15 OS core then several other Zorin options, safe mode etc. then two Windows 10 options (with identical descriptions)at the bottom. If I do nothing after a few seconds it boots to the top listing of Zorin. I would like to remove one of the Windows 10 options.

EDIT: ...Or... Do what Swarfendor said.

Hurk, you might try
Code:
sudo efibootmgr

from a terminal while booted up in Zorin.
This should give a list of the entries in the boot menu.
If you do not have it installed, you must first install it:
Code:
sudo apt-get install efibootmgr

Code:
sudo modprobe efivars

Then, repeat the above:
Code:
sudo efibootmgr

Look for Windows 10 and write down its Boot Number. The boot number will look like "Boot0001" or "Boot0002," and so one. Let's say that the Windows 10 in the Boot Manager is listed as "Boot0004".
You would enter:
Code:
sudo efibootmgr -b 4 -B

If Windows 10 was listed as "Boot0005", you would put in:
Code:
sudo efibootmgr -b 5 -B

So, as you can see, the boot number (Just the one digit of 1,2,3,45 or so)is the value you replace in
Code:
sudo efibootmgr -b <Boot Number> -B

ON what GRUB is:
This will do a better job than I would:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_GRUB

But in short, GRUB is what manages the Boot Up. It is not to be trifled with carelessly, as an error in modifying it can destroy your boot up ability.
I know... From Personal experience.
.....twice...
(Scratches head.)

hurkeybird

Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:36:53 pm

Swarfendor437 I tried installing Grub-Customizer and it said it cannot locate it.
Aravisian I tried installing efibootmgr and it said latest version already installed but I don't see it listed anywhare.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:39:28 pm

I'll take a look tomorrow as on smart phone.

hurkeybird

Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:45:00 pm

Swarfendor437 I tried installing Grub-Customizer and it said it cannot locate it.
Aravisian I tried installing efibootmgr and it said latest version already installed but I don't see it listed anywhare.

Aravisian

Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:58:01 pm

hurkeybird wrote:Swarfendor437 I tried installing Grub-Customizer and it said it cannot locate it.

For Grub-Customizer, you may need to add the repository to repository source list.
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:danielrichter2007/grub-customizer

Code:
sudo apt-get update

Code:
sudo apt-get install grub-customizer

EDIT: Once installed, I found it in App menu> System> Adminstration tab
Ifthis works, you don't need to follow the other option of efibootmgr.

Otherwise:
If your latest version of efibootmgr is installed, you need only follow the rest of my post. I included the installation of it, just in case. I guess I should have Figured that the Zorins had that covered.

hurkeybird

Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:07:02 am

It is fixed. Thanks for all the help