This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Is Zorin 15 not a free upgrade from paid version of 12?

Clintie

Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:23:46 am

Hi All,

I bought Zorin 12 ultimate so am I not entitled to a free upgrade to 15 ultimate?

Please advise.
Clintie

Aravisian

Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:09:34 pm

Clintie wrote:Hi All,

I bought Zorin 12 ultimate so am I not entitled to a free upgrade to 15 ultimate?

Please advise.
Clintie

Clintie, this has been quite the topic of discussion lately.;)
As an example, if you bought the 2014 VW Jetta, would you be entitled to upgrade to the 2019 VW Jetta for free?
Zorin OS, while you could get away with calling it an upgrade from Windows, is an Operating System and each OS is developed after much time and effort.
Zorin 12.4 is an OS that you chose to use the Ultimate edition with. It regularly receives upgrades and updates as part of that operating system.
Zorin OS 15 is the Next Operating system in the line. Who knows, maybe we will see it being called 15.2 and 15.3 and 15.4 as it receives Upgrades. But it is still an OS in the line, not an upgrade to 12.4
...otherwise, it would be called Zorin 12.5.

Zorin 15 Ultimate also includes a change in that it's a double package;it includes the Ultimate Lite, which with the previous OS's in the line was a separate purchase.

Clintie, thanks also for donating to the Zorin Team when you bought 12.4 Ultimate. Without the contributions of folks like you, we might not have gotten a Zorin OS 15. Personally, I am still on OS 12.4 because I prefer how it operates. But if you are very eager to enjoy and use Zorin OS 15 but cannot swing 40 euros, please check out Zorin OS 15 Core edition.
I am looking forward to seeing Zorin 18.

EDIT: It occurs to me that Microsoft did something unusual for itself in recent times and for a Limited Time, offered people a Free "Upgrade" to Windows 10. (This is one of those times when the word 'upgrade' can be misused. Upgrading is to enhance the existing product, not replace it.) But MS is a multi-billion dollar corporation employing tens of thousands of people and the Zorin Team is two guys.
I mean... come on...
Besides, that didn't end well for Microsoft.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:03:55 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said.

Great Post Aravisian. Your elucidations are crystal clear and far better than anything I could have posted. Thanks again for all your contributions to the forum. ;) :D

Clintie

Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:04:09 am

Aravisian wrote:
Clintie wrote:Hi All,

Please advise.
Clintie

Clintie, this has been quite the topic of discussion lately.;)
As an example, if you bought the 2014 VW Jetta, would you be entitled to upgrade to the 2019 VW Jetta for free?
Zorin OS, while you could get away with calling it an upgrade from Windows, is an Operating System and each OS is developed after much time and effort.
Zorin 12.4 is an OS that you chose to use the Ultimate edition with. It regularly receives upgrades and updates as part of that operating system.
Zorin OS 15 is the Next Operating system in the line. Who knows, maybe we will see it being called 15.2 and 15.3 and 15.4 as it receives Upgrades. But it is still an OS in the line, not an upgrade to 12.4
...otherwise, it would be called Zorin 12.5.

Zorin 15 Ultimate also includes a change in that it's a double package;it includes the Ultimate Lite, which with the previous OS's in the line was a separate purchase.

Clintie, thanks also for donating to the Zorin Team when you bought 12.4 Ultimate. Without the contributions of folks like you, we might not have gotten a Zorin OS 15. Personally, I am still on OS 12.4 because I prefer how it operates. But if you are very eager to enjoy and use Zorin OS 15 but cannot swing 40 euros, please check out Zorin OS 15 Core edition.
I am looking forward to seeing Zorin 18.

EDIT: It occurs to me that Microsoft did something unusual for itself in recent times and for a Limited Time, offered people a Free "Upgrade" to Windows 10. (This is one of those times when the word 'upgrade' can be misused. Upgrading is to enhance the existing product, not replace it.) But MS is a multi-billion dollar corporation employing tens of thousands of people and the Zorin Team is two guys.
I mean... come on...
Besides, that didn't end well for Microsoft.

Ok so its a no then? :D

Thanks for the response Sir. I got the Core edition for now and it seems to be up to the task for the moment.

Appreciate the feedback.
Regards,
Clint

Aravisian

Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:08:59 am

Clintie wrote:Ok so its a no then? :D

I guess so, maybe.
I definitely think it is a statistically possible probability.

Clintie wrote:Thanks for the response Sir. I got the Core edition for now and it seems to be up to the task for the moment.

Appreciate the feedback.
Regards,
Clint

If the reviews of 15 are anything to go by, I am sure the Core edition is quite good.