This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

“Super + space” key effect start button, some solution?

nquantum

Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:40:42 pm

I use 2-keyboard-layouts English and Thai and use use “Super + space” key to change layout.

When I click Super key (not yet release it) the start menu is pop-up ,when hit space key (so that Super + Space to change layout) keyboard layout is change but start menu still there that I need to click Super key again to close it.

Windows-layout, Windows classic-layout have effect of this issue , but none in Touch-layout and Gnome3-layout.

Even I can live with this annoy issue. Can anything do about it? Would be so nice to get this annoy done.

I wish I’m not to change to other key layout change than “super+space” if I can. Windows I use “`” key, Mac is “cmd+space” or “caplock”, Linux even other distribution I use “super+space”. It hard to adapt to more key again if I can.

I’ve come into Zorin Linux by vdo-clip introduction on Facebook , Love the GUI , clean, neat, modern and attractive! I think now Linux world will be more beautiful, colorful, detail and pleasure to use! Not just old powerful and so so to use. I do hope I love more in Zorin and use it into main OS nxt to Windows and Mac (no more! - Die already after Job)

I use Zorin core and plan to have Ultimate version soon.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:29:25 pm

Hi, I appreciate you having some issues but I suspect that it might be down to the way Zorin have coded the OS to make it easier for Windows users who are migrating to GNU/Linux using Zorin - The meta (Super) key in Zorin 15 can be set to either act as Menu Launcher, or Overview Launcher and I suspect because of this coding what you require may not be achievable. That said a combination to switch windows in keyboard settings does not work for me either! (Windows + Tab). Think I need to raise this post with Team Zorin. ;) :D

nquantum

Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:45:54 am

That unfortunately however I've try to change the key alternate to "alt + shift" like some people change layout on linux or win.
Can not assign key. Maybe because I use VMware player to install Zorin os. I'll try to install on real later.

Maybe you could consider fix. It will happy me not sure for others. Maybe some...that use Linux with more language layouts. As I see "windows + space" can change keyboard layout also no problem in windows as windows 10. Also no problem in Ubuntu. Linux Mint I'm not sure, not remember. Anyway It'd be no problem in Zorin Linux too.

As "super key" seem to be promote use more --- maybe in my view from hotkey that ubuntu provide or try us to use. It more with this key, and usually easy to press, remember to 1-common key press combination, just like Mac use cmd-key combination a lot. And windows 10 now use windows-key a lot

Aravisian

Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:40:10 am

Because I am using Gnome Flashback and not using the default panel, the super+space key works for me just fine. On my other computer that is running12.4 Lite with the default Panel, Super does bring up the app menu. On this machine, 12.4 Core using Gnome FlashBack and no default panel, super key by itself does not do anything.
To test it, I opened up Keyboard settings and added the Shortcut and command and it worked with no trouble.

All of this would require the O.P. to not use the default Panel, though...

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:01:57 pm

Just for clarity, are we talking about 12.x or 15? 15 seems to have issues with keyboard commands that are listed as what is supposed to happen (change windows = Super + Tab - but it just brings up the menu). ;)

nquantum

Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:40:50 am

Hello. It's me that use Zorin 15 has the "super + space" issue in window and window classic layout. (language layout can change but start menu also appear)

I think Aravisian use Gnome Flashback on 12.4 without issue. However I think it is not the case with Gnome default panel in Zorin 15.

Maybe you should consider fix this little annoy in future for 2 reason.

Hi, I appreciate you having some issues but I suspect that it might be down to the way Zorin have coded the OS to make it easier for Windows users who are migrating to GNU/Linux using Zorin - The meta (Super) key in Zorin 15 can be set to either act as Menu Launcher, or Overview Launcher and I suspect because of this coding what you require may not be achievable.

1. Windows 10 also use windows key same super key to act Menu Launcher with no problem about change key-layout. By doing this once I press windows key (still hold it) Menu Launcher not show yet. When release key then Menu Launcher show/pop-up. So that the point, if I press windows key then follow by spacebar then release both key. Layout change. Menu Launcher not show. Even hold down window key and hit spacebar once(press and release) layout changing show on screen, but no Menu Launcher. So no problem on windows for this issue. And as well same behaviour on Ubuntu. So if fixed then still almost look more close to window/ubuntu do. No confuse newcomer, no annoy.

2. From what I know people come from other Linux distro and Mac often use this combo changing layout. So it will give them choice. Otherwise they no way just change to other combination key.

However for the "alt + shift" I can manage to set it within Gnome tweak installed package. Which bring me another question. From what I know Zorin Linux modify/add some GUI from GNOME and Ubuntu, so by install Gnome tweak and setting something there will break something in Zorin or not? :P

nquantum

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:10:31 am

I've just notice that there is other shortcut-keys that combine with super-key, so if this behaviour got fix in future meaning those shortcut key with come worthy too. :D

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:45:11 am

Hi, I got notice that Team Zorin were away for a week - I will PM them a link to this thread tomorrow when hopefully they will be back. Thanks for posting. ;) :D

AZorin

Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:56:42 pm

Thanks for reporting this issue. We have been able to reproduce it and can confirm that it affects some computers running Zorin OS 15.

The source of the issue stems from selecting to use the Super key to open the start menu, which enables extension-level code to re-map pressing the super key to opening the menu.

We have added it to our development roadmap to fix this issue in an upcoming software update. In order to make sure you get the fix as early as possible, please make sure to install the latest updates from the Software Updater on a regular basis.

In the meantime, it is possible to work around the issue by re-mapping the Super key to open the Activities Overview, which will still allow you to search for & open apps as well as using keyboard shortcuts like Super + Space. You can enable this option by opening the Zorin menu > search & open "Zorin Appearance" > Panel and under the "Menu" section set the "Left Super Key" shortcut to "Activities Overview".