This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] problems with zorin 15 transfer to flash drive

ezymel

Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:17:55 pm

Hi:

Brand new here. Real name is Mel but I sign as ezymel. Did a free download which worked fine. Problem is I can't seem to transfer the ios to my HP flash drive. I also have a DVD and it doesn't recognize it either. Frankly, I am stymied. I want to install zorin aside my win 10. Please,, I do need your help. I did install etcher but unable to add zorin to it. Thank you very much for your help. I would have gotten the paid version of zorin but it cost a little too much for me at this time. It would make it a lot easier to install..

Swarfendor437

Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:00:18 pm

Hi, did you check the SHA sum of the . iso after downloading? And you didn't use a Download Accelerator manager did you? You have my sympathy on the Etcher front as it has never worked for me either. Give Rufus a try:

https://rufus.ie/

One last question, is this for a Notebook or Desktop and which make?

FSG

Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:09:55 pm

Rufus is what I used to make the USB for Core then Ultimate

mdiemer

Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:08:23 pm

Not sure what your problem is, but I can report I have used Etcher numerous times and it has always worked, so I doubt that's the problem.

carmar

Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:21:48 pm

How about "Hard Disk" method with unetbootin https://unetbootin.github.io/ ?

My PC was refusing to recognize the USB even after checking BIOS setup, when trying to install dual boot with Win 7. After using unetbootin with "Hard Disk" install mode, installation was a breeze.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:39:33 pm

Another alternative if refusing is PLOP boot manager:

https://www.plop.at/en/bootmanagers.html

Also is the USB flash drive in healthy state? ;) :D

ezymel

Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:31:55 pm

Hi Again:

It's me trying to get Zorin to work. I wanted very much to install the premium version but until I know what is happening, I don't want to spend the money for a download which may not work. I tried once again to install Zorifn which is a free download. I dd just that and still no luck. I know that the download was successful but when I launched etcher, it could not find Zorin When windows explorer was open, I did not see Zorin. Instead, I noted a file called casper which was in my document folder and had the same Gb as Zorin; I believe 2.2 Gb. When I opened casper, there were a few other files in there. At first, when I tried to download Zorin 15, it was ever too slow and after several tried, it just keeps failing. So, I went out and bought Panda wireles flash drive which is PAUD5 rated at 300Mb/sec which really sped up the transfer rate and finally did the proper download. So, here I am, not knowing what to do. You mention that you also had trouble with Etcher and I do have another iso transfer called iso burner but when I opened it up to find Zorin, nothing showed. I don't know what is wrong.. I am so eager to check out Zorin because I think that is what I want. I know I never had any other problems with other distros such as UBUNTU, MINT, and some others. So, at this time, I don't know what to do. Any additional help will certainly be appreciated. I onlywish that Zorin could be purchased already on a disk or flash drive. That is about it for now.

ezmel

Aravisian

Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:35:02 pm

ezymel wrote:Hi Again:

It's me trying to get Zorin to work. I wanted very much to install the premium version but until I know what is happening, I don't want to spend the money for a download which may not work. I tried once again to install Zorifn which is a free download. I dd just that and still no luck. I know that the download was successful but when I launched etcher, it could not find Zorin When windows explorer was open, I did not see Zorin. Instead, I noted a file called casper which was in my document folder and had the same Gb as Zorin; I believe 2.2 Gb. When I opened casper, there were a few other files in there. At first, when I tried to download Zorin 15, it was ever too slow and after several tried, it just keeps failing. So, I went out and bought Panda wireles flash drive which is PAUD5 rated at 300Mb/sec which really sped up the transfer rate and finally did the proper download. So, here I am, not knowing what to do. You mention that you also had trouble with Etcher and I do have another iso transfer called iso burner but when I opened it up to find Zorin, nothing showed. I don't know what is wrong.. I am so eager to check out Zorin because I think that is what I want. I know I never had any other problems with other distros such as UBUNTU, MINT, and some others. So, at this time, I don't know what to do. Any additional help will certainly be appreciated. I onlywish that Zorin could be purchased already on a disk or flash drive. That is about it for now.

ezmel

Ezmel, PM sent.
In the meantime, Rufus or Unetbootin work better for me than Etcher.
If you are using Windows, I recommend you try Rufus. I use Unetbootin on Linux.
I have also noticed that on occasion, the Zorin Download page slows way down. But if you check in later, it is back to normal Fast Speed. I suspect High Demand is the issue.

MBMz10

Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:08:12 am

ezymel wrote:
I noted a file called casper which was in my document folder and had the same Gb as Zorin;

ezmel

I have seen Casper when looking at USB drives created with, Unetbootin I think from memory so why would that be in your 'Documents' seems odd and where is your Zorin download? In your Downloads? You managed to get Linux Mint and Ubuntu working, try putting the Zorin download file with them and see if you can see the file then.

Also if the file does not end with .iso Etcher will not "SEE" it, does the Zorin file icon look the same as the Mint Ubuntu icons? Note that it is .iso NOT .ios the latest file name is Zorin-OS-15-Core-64-bit-r1.iso

As you have had success before with Mint Ubuntu I am wondering if it is an incorrect file name or maybe Windows is hiding the extension ( the .iso) from Etcher or some such thing.

Some options:
Burn Zorin to a DVD (I see you tried)
Purchase a USB or DVD with Zorin on it from somewhere like this https://www.osdisc.com/products/zorinos (never used them but heard good reviews)
Try another computer or friends machine to create the USB/DVD
Test your USB stick with another distro, your Mint Ubuntu files if you still have them?

I have never had Issues with Etcher, it is the easiest and most reliable USB creator I have ever used! That has been my experience with it.

Good Luck

ezymel

Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:57:36 am

I just want to say that finally I got Zorin to work. I found another burner which I can't think of the name now but I do have it somewhere in my document folder in win 10. I have not yet transferred any of the files to Zorin. I best do that shortly. I just want to tell you Zorin is super fast, no drag time in loading and that is just fantastic. It is clean and once I learn the ins and out of the system, that will be great. I hope there will be a users manual soon; that is, the final revision. There are a lot of things to learn here and I just have to take my time to learn it. Overall, I am impressed with this OS. Thanks everyone for your help. I really appreciate that. Take care.

ezymel

ezymel

Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:49:52 am

Hi:
Thank you everyone for your support. I did pay for a new zorin disk and all problems were solved. I knew it was the real thing. I love this Linux Zorin. So much faster than windows 10. I has a very nice desktop. What I really like about it, is that it that the browser loads fast. I am glad the manual has been posted. Linux, is still new to me and differs somewhat that win 10. One thing I have to learn is how to save downloads to my file folder. Sometimes, I accidentally put a download in my document folder but it is easily changed. Why is it that you have to uzip downloads using Linux? Hey, thanks again.

Mel or ezymel