This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[CLOSED] No ethernet

snydley100

Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:11:27 am

I just bought a new Razer Pro 17" and I successfully installed Zorin 15 Ultimate, along side of the Windows 10 that was installed on this computer, but I had no Wifi or Ethernet connections. After reaching out to Zorin support, they got my wifi working for me, but I still have no ethernet connection. I'm thinking maybe the firmware is missing? I'm a Novice at Zorin, at best, so I don't know. Anyway, when I asked them if they could help me with my ethernet they told me to open up a terminal session and enter: sudo lshw -C network > network.txt and attach the network.txt file to an email to them, which I did. I haven't heard back from them, I'm sure they're very busy, so I thought I would post the results of that file here and see if any of you might be able to help me. Anyway, here is the results of that file:

*-network UNCLAIMED
description: Ethernet controller
product: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:45:00.0
version: 00
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list
configuration: latency=0
resources: ioport:3000(size=256) memory:cf400000-cf40ffff memory:cf410000-cf413fff memory:cf420000-cf48ffff memory:cf490000-cf4abfff
*-network
description: Wireless interface
product: Intel Corporation
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:47:00.0
logical name: wlp71s0
version: 1a
serial: 38:00:25:aa:26:39
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwlwifi driverversion=5.1.16-050116-generic firmware=46.3cfab8da.0 ip=192.168.1.22 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11
resources: irq:19 memory:cf200000-cf203fff

Like I said, my Wifi is working now, the bottom network entry, it's the Ethernet that's not. Maybe I need the firmware for the Realtek controller.
If any of you can help me, I'd greatly appreciate it!
Snydley

Swarfendor437

Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:56:40 pm

Could you please give model number of the realtek ethernet device that shows up in Windows please? ;) :D

snydley100

Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:14:04 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Could you please give model number of the realtek ethernet device that shows up in Windows please? ;) :D

This laptop is a new 17" Razer Blade Pro laptop

All the info I could find on this Realtek 2.5G ethernet controller is:

Realtek PCIe 2.5GbE Family Controller - from Windows 10 Device Manager

1x RJ45 - 2.5Gb ethernet - from razer.com

Network Interface Controllers > 2.5G Gigabit Ethernet > PCI Express
RTL8125 - from realtek.com This is the only one listed for the Realtek 2.5.G ethernet controller

I also found Linux "drivers" for this controller on Realtek's website on this page:
https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zo ... s-software
There is a note that says "up to kernel 4.15" , I'm not sure what kernel number Zorin 15 is using, but I had trouble with my wifi and the kernel that came with Zorin 15. Zorin's wonderful support personnel were able to get the wifi working for me on this laptop.
I thank you for any help you may have for me!
Snyde

Swarfendor437

Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:03:23 pm

OK, the current kernel is:

current kernel zorin15.jpg

So, go to your downloaded archive and extract it all to a location of your choosing (let's go with Desktop) and in a terminal window navigate to Desktop by:

Code:
cd Desktop

Next enter:

Code:
cd r8125-9.002.02

then

Code:
sudo ./autorun.sh

To check it is installed:

Code:
lsmod | grep r8125

To check if loaded into the kernel:

Code:
sudo ethtool -i enp1s0

Keep us posted - you may need to install ethtool with sudo apt-get install ethtool.

No Guarantees!

snydley100

Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:21:40 pm

When I do uname -r on my system I get:
5.1.16-050116-generic

The description of the file says up to ver. 4.15
So it seems to me like that file won't be good for my system.
I'm leery of even trying it because of that. Maybe I'll just have to wait, write an email to Realtek asking if they have anything else, and maybe I'll have to go back to Zorin 12 in the meantime, or just not use my ethernet for anything. At least Support got my Wifi working so I can use that to get on the "Net" when I want to.

I don't believe that that file wouldn't work on your system, if you were in this situation, with ver 4.18.0-24-generic kernel, since the Realtek drive is good up to kernel 4.15 would it? Or am I missing something here?
Snyde

Swarfendor437

Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:37:14 pm

I have downloaded the tarball myself and can't find any reference to kernel 4.15 - it only mentions 2.6 and 2.4. Having done a search for drivers for that specific card I can't see any currently available from other sources such as git hub and other ppa's (repos). :(

I bought a realtek wifi adapter some months back and that only supported really old kernels - a bit like selling hardware that needs XP to run it! They don't tell you this until you open the package and visit their site! I took it back and got my money back. :o

Your alternative would be to get an external card/USB adapter?:

https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/ ... rk-adapter

snydley100

Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:00:23 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:I have downloaded the tarball myself and can't find any reference to kernel 4.15 - it only mentions 2.6 and 2.4. Having done a search for drivers for that specific card I can't see any currently available from other sources such as git hub and other ppa's (repos). :(

I bought a realtek wifi adapter some months back and that only supported really old kernels - a bit like selling hardware that needs XP to run it! They don't tell you this until you open the package and visit their site! I took it back and got my money back. :o

Your alternative would be to get an external card/USB adapter?:

https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/ ... rk-adapter

The file I need is for a 2.5G Realtek device. Their file they have posted for that is: r8125-9.002.02.tar.bz2 for 2.5G Ethernet LINUX driver r8125 for kernel up to 4.15, which is the hardware I have, I believe.
I wrote an email to support at Realtek and asked them if they had something for their 2.5G hardware and a Linux 5.1 kernel, I'm going to wait on them. I can do without the ethernet, since I have Wifi, but I'm just one that thinks "since it's there I want it to work". I would use it if it was working, but if I have to wait for a future driver release I can.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:13:33 pm

Makes sense. I did specifically look for that driver but it only stated Linux on the page I visited and had loads of issues on the email verification page! LOL! Took me six captcha attempts before it would let me download. Will mark this thread as [CLOSED] ;) :D