This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Gnome Extention Brightside

pilothobs

Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:33:57 pm

Hello All,

I downloaded Zorin and installed it on a i5 NUC. I like the idea of Zorin because even though I had to pay it generally has everything I want and saves me tons of time having to go get extensions.

What do you guys know about Brightside? I found it herehttps://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/gnome/brightside I like the functionality of it and would like to use it with Zorin. I tried to install it in other versions of 18.04x but couldn't get it to work.

How can I use this? Or is there something similar that gives me the workspace functionality?

Thanks for your Help

Hobs

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:27:00 pm

Not at my machine right now. Will look tomorrow.

Aravisian

Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:36:02 am

pilothobs wrote:Hello All,

I downloaded Zorin and installed it on a i5 NUC. I like the idea of Zorin because even though I had to pay it generally has everything I want and saves me tons of time having to go get extensions.

What do you guys know about Brightside? I found it herehttps://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/gnome/brightside I like the functionality of it and would like to use it with Zorin. I tried to install it in other versions of 18.04x but couldn't get it to work.

How can I use this? Or is there something similar that gives me the workspace functionality?

Thanks for your Help

Hobs

Brightside page states:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/bionic/+source/brightside
There is no current release of this source package in The Bionic Beaver. You can still report bugs, make translations, and so on, but they might not be used until the package is published.

There is a release for Xenial, however, which would work on Ubuntu 16.04 or Zorin 12.4.
That notice implies that they are currently working on a release for Bubonic Beaver.
I mean Bionic.

pilothobs

Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:15:04 pm

Thanks for the replies.

This brings me to a very basic question about Linux and the difference OS. If you install a ubuntu and want to download a ferona(sp) app it won't work?
Likewise apps written in previous versions are not compatible with newer versions? (Like brightside)

Sorry for the n00b questions

Thanks

Hobs

Aravisian

Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:46:45 pm

pilothobs wrote:Thanks for the replies.

This brings me to a very basic question about Linux and the difference OS. If you install a ubuntu and want to download a ferona(sp) app it won't work?
Likewise apps written in previous versions are not compatible with newer versions? (Like brightside)

Sorry for the n00b questions

Thanks

Hobs

It really depends...
Sometimes, a piece of software is changed in a way that is fundamental to how it works. After that change, a different app won't be able to communicate with it.
But not always.
As an example of something I know a very little about: Gnome 2 Desktop used .rc files for theming and Appearances. Gnome 3 changed over to using .css cascading Style sheets. Gnome then renamed "mutter" to "clutter". This change meant that GTK 2 themes no longer work right on GTK 3 desktops.

You can see that a Change in language or structure will prevent an app from working, or from working right. But many are cross-distro compatible, too. Examples from the top of my head are Thunar, Nemo, Nautilus file managers for KDE, XFCE and Gnome. You can use them on each distro and they will work. Though, some things might work better than others, depending on whether it is on the Distro it was designed for,
IF you use Synaptic or the Software Channel, it can tell what is compatible with your Distro and what is not.

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:11:25 pm

And don't forget Gdebi Package Manager - if there is a missing dependency it will tell you at point of install. ;) :D