This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Gnome shell extensions and WiFi

Finston Pickle

Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:07:32 pm

I recently had a lot of trouble with my WiFi not connecting cleanly and sometimes not even showing in settings > network.

By chance, I clicked on the bottom right calendar and notifications and found a shedload of notifications from Accu Weather (I think - can't check because now deleted). I had changed the default location fron some Russian/African sounding place to Manchester and the extension threw a wobble - not allowing me to change and no guidance on format (and presumably showering out notifications and wifi traffic).

I tried to find and remove the app using synaptic package manager - but no sign of the sucker.

Fortunately I finally realised it was a Gnome shell extension and found and deleted same.

The laptop WiFi performance was magically back to where it has been up to this recent issue (about a month).

Can a wayward shell extension really **** up WiFi - or am I deluding myself?

Swarfendor437

Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:05:04 pm

I've just done a DuckDuckGo search and can't find any links to interfering with wifi. ;) :D

Finston Pickle

Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:38:32 pm

Thanks, Swarf.

I think that I was deluding myself - my WiFi played up again after my posting.

I have finally taken your advice from many moons ago and I am now using a 1 Gbit/s ethernet powerline extension. I expeceted it to be 10 Gig, but there you go - it said something about base 10 on the original packaging, I think (whatever that is).

I never had any problem with WiFi with Z9 but my Z12 setup has been plagued with periodic issues from day one - maybe hardware, who knows.

Anyway, everthing seems crisp and fast - so far.