This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] install ultimate if core meets needs?

carmar

Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:45:42 pm

I saw this: viewtopic.php?t=12491 - Ultimate vs Core
and this: viewtopic.php?t=9282 - upgrading to Ultimate from Core

I intend to buy the Ultimate version, more for the sake of donation than for need. Been running Core since June (first time Linux user) and it is amazing. The only time I am disappointed is when a game fails on Wine but I just blame Aravisian and Swarf, and then I feel all better. :lol:

But jokes aside, my question is: If I don't think I need the incremental applications from Ultimate (in fact, I have uninstalled some in Core), when I buy Ultimate, is it better for me to just download the image and forget about it or is there something else I am missing by not installing it? That is, besides more applications, are there any other differences?

PS - I used the "something else" option when I installed Core, created my own root, home, swap partitions. While reinstalling Linux is a breeze, I am a very very very lazy man and prefer avoiding a reinstall. Also, I couldn't find Wolfman's guide.

PPS - If Ultimate's appearance exactly mimics Windows 7, that would be awesome because then I can preclude my wife's whining when I switch her from Win 7.

Aravisian

Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:00:42 pm

carmar wrote:The only time I am disappointed is when a game fails on Wine but I just blame Aravisian and Swarf, and then I feel all better. :lol:

Finally, I am useful.

carmar wrote: That is, besides more applications, are there any other differences?

No, not really.
What makes Ultimate what it is:
-Installation and tech support from Artyom Zorin
-Exposure and introduction to many great applications
-Backends and research for masterful integration of applications into one O.S. This may sound silly, but it really isn't. While a person can build their own system from multiple projects, tying them all together to mesh smoothly is Not Easy.
-Helping the Zorin Project continue with funding. And helping Kyrill Zorin upgrade his car...

Any user of Zorin Ultimate will probably feel like they got more bloat than they needed. The point is not to bloat the system, but to introduce stubborn people like me to the great many applications available that we don't know about.
If you do not like an application and it just doesn't work for you- there's no sense in keeping it.

carmar wrote:PS - I used the "something else" option when I installed Core, created my own root, home, swap partitions. While reinstalling Linux is a breeze, I am a very very very lazy man and prefer avoiding a reinstall. Also, I couldn't find Wolfman's guide.

Are you referring to installing Ultimate without having to wipe and reload?

carmar wrote:PPS - If Ultimate's appearance exactly mimics Windows 7, that would be awesome because then I can preclude my wife's whining when I switch her from Win 7.

Well... no...
You can find some themes that mimic the appearance of Windows 7. Beneath that, it behaves very differently. I put a Zorin loaded laptop in the living room for my son to use and since he uses standard programs and internet, he never notices the difference between Windows and Zorin, other than that all the icons and window borders are different looking.
When a regular and causal computer user uses Linux, they usually don't notice the difference because Mozilla Firefox works the same and they never look under the hood.
A user that uses printers and a lot of Windows apps will notice the difference. However, the learning curve is easy.

carmar

Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:08:01 pm

Thank you, sir. That answers my question. Yeah, Zorin is easy to get used to but my wife will still complain about the minor differences, hence I thought I'd throw that PPS in.

Ok, I'll buy Ultimate and save the image.

One more question: I'm guessing that there is no point in keeping the Core image I downloaded, since in the future I can just use Ultimate image for install?

Aravisian wrote:Are you referring to installing Ultimate without having to wipe and reload?

Yes.

Aravisian

Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:02:30 pm

carmar wrote:One more question: I'm guessing that there is no point in keeping the Core image I downloaded, since in the future I can just use Ultimate image for install?

Plenty of point in keeping it, in my opinion. You may want to use it on another computer or give it to a Windows-addict...

carmar wrote:Yes.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

carmar

Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:06:09 pm

Will do. Thanks for the guide too.

carmar

Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:33:44 pm

Thanks again.

One last (and likely a very silly) question. I downloaded the ultimate image, 4.21GB size with no download issues. I mounted it using PowerISO (am currently on Win 7 as I post this). All contents look fine and I didn't get any error while mounting. I'm guessing I can store it away and not have to test the download file integrity any further?

PS - saved copy of wolfman's guide for future.

Aravisian

Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:41:51 pm

carmar wrote:Thanks again.

One last (and likely a very silly) question. I downloaded the ultimate image, 4.21GB size with no download issues. I mounted it using PowerISO (am currently on Win 7 as I post this). All contents look fine and I didn't get any error while mounting. I'm guessing I can store it away and not have to test the download file integrity any further?

PS - saved copy of wolfman's guide for future.

I am sure you are fine. If there are any issues with the integrity of Zorin OS Ultimate download, you can contact Artyom Zorin directly in order to get it sorted out. It seems to me that most issues of integrity that arise happen during the process of installation for more often than with the download.

carmar

Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:10:13 pm

Thanks, Aravisian.