This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Javascript needed to run a program

newzedder

Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:19:21 pm

I was recently given a link to a genealogy program called Ancestris, and decided to download it to try it out. The website said the program required Java 8 as a minimum, in order to run. Now, I know diddly squat about Java and have no idea at all whether it's in my Zorin 12 system or not. Is it there or do I have to download/install it myself? If so, which type of file(s) should I be looking for? Thought I should ask here first, before asking questions at the other software's forum. (The program, by the way, doesn't run, hence the query).

Aravisian

Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:53:15 pm

What you will need is the Java Runtime Environment. These days, it seems to come packaged with the Java Development Kit (JDK) even though it shouldn't.

The Ubuntu repo offers a version of Java (JRE Java Runtime Environment) but as noted elsewhere on this forum, it is known to carry a couple bugs.
Your best bet is to download it directly from the Oracle webpage for your system and do the install that way.
OR
Download the .deb file from here
https://deb.pkgs.org/universal/opennms- ... l.deb.html
and install it by opening the folder it is contained in in Terminal and entering:
Code:
dpkg -i oracle-java8-installer_8u131-1~webupd8~2_all.deb

or install using Gdebi package manager, if you have it installed.

newzedder

Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:58:47 am

Apologies for not responding sooner, Aravisian, I've been away a lot recently. Many thanks for that info, I'll give it a go and see how it runs.