This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS 15 Core keeps crashing after most recent update

Atlas1819

Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:21:03 pm

Hello everyone!

I am new to Zorin, to Linux in general.
Two days ago I installed Zorin OS 15 Core on my old Samsung laptop. Everything was fine. It worked perfectly.
Yesterday (10/31/2019) I installed an update.
Ever since then Zorin keeps crashing when I go online/ use Firefox. It works maybe for one minute at max and then it just shuts down.

Does anyone else experience any difficulties after the latest update?
Or has any advice on what I could do to solve this problem?

Advice and tips very much appreciated.
Thank you.

Swarfendor437

Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:28:55 pm

Hi, If this is the only OS on the Notebook, hold the left shift key during boot so as to see GRUB (GRand Unified Bootloader) and click on advanced/recovery mode. Choose an earlier kernel - normally keep the last two kernels that were installed prior to any new one. I suspect that the updates are for newer hardware and this could be the cause of the issue. If you boot into earlier kernel on Zorin and everything is fine, boot to the GRUB menu once more and make a note of the newest kernel. Boot into Zorin on earlier kernel, then using Synaptic Package Manager, search for the newer kernel and mark for it's removal and apply the changes. Hopefully you should then get back to a working Zorin installation. Just be sure to backup any critical data before you start playing! ;) :D

Atlas1819

Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:26:01 pm

Thank you so much for the advice.
Will this also work if there is another OS on the laptop?
(I also have Win XP Professional Service pack 3 installed, but I do not use it anymore; it's mostly just sitting there; I kept it only because I have some software running on it that I didn't want to chuck).

Swarfendor437

Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:35:51 am

I know where you are coming from! Just ensure that you log into Zorin and the changes you make to the kernel version (removal of the newest) will not affect your XP as that is on a separate partition. It should have it's own entry in GRUB if GRUB has overwritten your Windows mbr. (I know where you are coming from on that front in respect of keeping XP offline). Just ensure that you do have earlier versions of the kernel present before removing the newest one. ;) :D

Atlas1819

Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:47:50 pm

Thank you for your kind assistance! I will give this a try.
Since this is all new to me I might be coming back with more questions and need for assistance.
Never poked into the guts of a computer so deeply before. LOL
I am fairly green where it comes to this. ;)

Swarfendor437

Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:44:51 pm

No worries. Have you downloaded the Unofficial manual yet! I think I might do a troubleshooting guide for all versions, including removing troublesome kernels. ;) :D

Atlas1819

Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:01:33 pm

Not yet. Where can find the Unofficial manual download?

Swarfendor437

Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:47:24 pm

Atlas1819

Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:34:00 pm

Thank you very much!
This is so helpful.
Very much appreciated.
: )