This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin won't boot or let me open the BIOS

tamashy

Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:22:17 pm

Hi i've been using zorin for a couple months now (since the beginning of summer i belive) with no problems but today my computer won't boot.

If I just let it try to boot i get a black screen with some lighter black in the border (this screen always poped for a couple seconds when i booted).

If i try to open the BIOS or the Boot menu i get this screen Image

On that screen i get 3 options:

1 - I get a black screen saying "Could't get size 0x0000008" (not sure if the number was that)
2 - I can go to the recovery menu but i didnt acomplish anything
3 - It shoes my motherboard splash screen (the one with the prompt to open bios) but goes back to the same screen (no matter what i press)

What is going on?

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:51:47 pm

Is this on a notebook? Could you provide us with more information please?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5449

tamashy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:28:57 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Is this on a notebook? Could you provide us with more information please?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5449

No, it's a desktop. It had zorin installed on a m2 ssd drive and windows 7 on a regular sata ssd drive. No dual boot, it went directly to zorin unless I went to the bios boot menu.

Anyways, thanks for the reply but i "fixed" it yesterday night. I have no idea what the problem was, but it looks than one problem was than zorin just broke (didn't boot) and another was that for some reason if the zorin drive was the first in boot order i coldn't enter the bios. I removed the zorin drive, boot to the bios, change order, this din't fix zorin system but at least i could boot to windows 7. In the end i just switched to windows 10 on that m2 drive and ditched linux.

Aravisian

Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:41:26 am

tamashy wrote:1 - I get a black screen saying "Could't get size 0x0000008" (not sure if the number was that)
2 - I can go to the recovery menu but i didnt acomplish anything
3 - It shoes my motherboard splash screen (the one with the prompt to open bios) but goes back to the same screen (no matter what i press)

What is going on?

I could be wrong but this sounds like a Graphics driver display issue.
Unplugging the display from your Graphics card and into the Motherboard supplied graphics, then checking your drivers would probably resolve that problem.
If already using the motherboard display, then loading your Linux O.S. using Safe Graphics would be the way to go.
tamashy wrote:Anyways, thanks for the reply but i "fixed" it yesterday night. I have no idea what the problem was, but it looks than one problem was than zorin just broke (didn't boot) and another was that for some reason if the zorin drive was the first in boot order i coldn't enter the bios. I removed the zorin drive, boot to the bios, change order, this din't fix zorin system but at least i could boot to windows 7. In the end i just switched to windows 10 on that m2 drive and ditched linux.

If this is the case, then it appears you are not fretting lost data. In which case you have the option to reinstall a Linux Distro of your choice on that drive as the simplest solution.
If my wild assumption above is correct, then checking your graphics drivers or setting "nomodeset" with "quiet splash" may resolve the issue on your Zorin Drive without having to do a wipe and reload. If interested, can provide a walkthrough on those.
Windows 10 will do odd spontaneous things that you won't expect as well as turning to subscription based constant payment for service. Additionally, Windows 10 will actively use your computer as a server (That you paid for) which reduces server maintenance and costs from microsoft. It does this on an Operating System that you also pay for. Being the case, I would still encourage you to keep your other options open. It is a lot easier to fix a problem on Linux that operates under your full control than to fix a problem on the other operating system which operates keeping you in the dark and allowing you limited control.

Swarfendor437

Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:44:11 pm

Also you have to setup TRIM in any Linux when an SSD is used:

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... ux-servers