This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[CLOSED] automatic login not working

carmar

Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:58:18 pm

I installed Core on https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16834101303
Used 'Something Else' option and selected Login Automatically. Only Core is installed, no other OS. All partitions were removed and then made root, home, swap.

Still, it asks me for password after suspending. Help?

Aravisian

Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:29:28 pm

carmar wrote:I installed Core on https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16834101303
Used 'Something Else' option and selected Login Automatically. Only Core is installed, no other OS. All partitions were removed and then made root, home, swap.

Still, it asks me for password after suspending. Help?

Carmar, can you open the Activities Overview and type in "users." Click "Users." Select your user account. Choose "Advanced" and then check off "Don't ask for password at login."
Worth a shot to see if this resolves your issue.

(Also let me know if those tips make no sense. I am not using "Core" anymore since I snagged a copy of Zorin 15 Core, ripped gnome off of it and installed XFCE 4.12 D.E., instead.)

carmar

Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:37:55 pm

Thanks.
No option for Advanced. Maybe because there is only one user listed?
Under Users, the Auto login option is greyed out to prevent selection and shows as checked - which means it should be always on but for some reason it isn't.
Interestingly, it works on my desktop (unless I just jinxed it by saying it) but does not work on my laptop. They both only have one user.

Aravisian

Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:55:21 pm

carmar wrote:Thanks.
No option for Advanced. Maybe because there is only one user listed?
Under Users, the Auto login option is greyed out to prevent selection and shows as checked - which means it should be always on but for some reason it isn't.
Interestingly, it works on my desktop (unless I just jinxed it by saying it) but does not work on my laptop. They both only have one user.

And the laptop is not using Nvidia?

carmar

Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:58:21 pm

According to https://uedata.amazon.com/Gateway-NE56R ... B009A8KZLW it is Intel graphics. I figured it is something integrated. I haven't been able to find out more than that.

Swarfendor437

Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:10:43 am

I've mentioned in the past that Autologin is not a good idea as it can create problems when having to update the system when your root password (your login password) is required. My advice would be to backup any critical data, reinstall, create the primary account with password then add second user with autologin. ;) :D

carmar

Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:32:59 am

Thanks guys.

Swarfendor437

Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:37:12 am

This is where Debian scores over Ubuntu based distributions - quite a few Debian forks include a separate root password at point of install. ;) :D