This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Default Gnome Extensions

nick50

Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:44:42 am

Hello,
I have installed Zorin OS 15 and then I noticed that there are gnome extensions, that can be upgraded.
But mostly it ended in errors and my desktop interface started to look odd.
Is there any easy way to reinstall Zorin default gnome extensions in their default version?
Or repair Zorin from usb flash disk could help?
Thanks for any help.

Swarfendor437

Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:15:21 am

Hi, I found out recently that Zorin extensions can't be updated via Gnome shell extension page - try doing it from the Software Channel. ;) :D

nick50

Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:22:37 am

Thanks for reply.
But my question is a little bit different.
I don't want to update these extensions, but get them to default version (as they were right after the installation).
Thanks.

Aravisian

Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:53:54 pm

This looks like one of those cases where Gnome will make an update without one whiff of thought to all the work done by extension developers. One possible solution would be to rollback the gnome-shell, but that is not recommended.
The above statement makes the assumption that an update from Gnome is the responsible cause rather than an update to the extensions. This is because a Gnome update is far more likely to cause these kinds of issues than an extension update and if updates were run, it is likely it was a batch so Gnome was, as well.
I could be totally wrong.

I am one of those datburned old-fangled luddites what avoids thingamajiggers like new-fangled extensions. I use Zorin Lite, these days and though I did try out Zorin Core, it didn't take me long to launch several ICBMs at Gnome on it.

But, you might find some helpful clues here:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GnomeShell/Extensions

Swarfendor437

Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:09:47 pm

You could try this (I think I did in the not too distant past when I screwed something up). Launch Tweak-Tool and remove all extensions by hitting the x to 'uninstall' - well certainly the Zorin ones then run 'sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade' from a terminal. ;) :D

nick50

Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:24:14 pm

Thanks for replies.
I tried to uninstall all extensions, but couldn't delete all of them. Some kept returning all the time.
I deleted or disabled extensions, which where causing problems and system seems fine.
If I run into some problems in the future, I will try sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.