This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Automatic suspend? Z15 Ultimate/Core

zaivala

Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:57:09 pm

I know I'm an outlier, but I want my machine on all the time when I'm using it. I might get stuck in a period checking my phone, and come back to my computer, and it's in a lock and I have to use my password to continue again.

I did every setting I could find in power management etc. to see that the computer would stay on.

I go about checking my phone for messages... and when I come back there is a little popup on my screen saying the system is about to go into Automatic Suspend due to inactivity.

So why should that come up when I've already told the machine to ignore inactivity? And where do I find/fix that setting?

I am currently testing Z15 for a month, to do a report on my podcast, Distrohoppers' Digest, to be recorded December 4. After that, I will move on, but fixing this bug will be a positive thing in the review.

AvgWinNoob

Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:43:46 am

Desktop setup...
Exactly same here.... just upgraded to ZorinLite_15
screen goes black after 5mins (I timed it)... shake mouse.. requires login... aaand it's darn annoying

I've installed Lite_15 twice tonight.. set to automatic login.... same issue repeats.

Fairly sure this wasn't happening with ZorinLite_12.... I'd have noticed

Aravisian

Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:51:13 am

Same here. I do not think you are an outlier.
I prefer that the screen does not lock itself. I did not have this problem with 12.4 Lite.

I have had this issue with Zorin 15 Lite. However, as I think about it, I recall setting all the normal settings we all have set but also on 12.4, I had adjusted the settings for "Laptop Lid Closed." I recall that was done seperately from the rest of the "set to never" gui, But I do not remember exactly how I did it.
I figured I would toss this up in this thread in case it is a hint or clue that someone else goes "aha" with. I have not yet tried it on Zorin 15 Lite. The machine that is installed on is in my sons room.
I rolled My Own back to 4.12 XFCE desktop because the new 4.14 XFCE desktop is solely GTK3 and no GTK 2 and I want GTK2, not GTK3. The whole reason I moved over to the XFCE desktop was to get away from GTK3 and all its horrors.

AvgWinNoob

Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:34:52 am

I am finding that ZL_15 is going into suspend even when watching a video.. eg Youtube.
The audio keeps playing... but screen reverts to desktop with password login box.

I'm going to keep ZL_15 for now so that if Swarf wants a 'system log file' I can provide it..... :?

I am sorely tempted to head straight back to ZL_12 though... :|

Aravisian

Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:24:34 pm

AvgWinNoob wrote:I am sorely tempted to head straight back to ZL_12 though... :|

<Aravisian whistles non-nonchalantly while vigorously inspecting a chip in the paint on the wall for no reason at all. >

Ubuntu 18.04 was a remarkable case of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Zorin 15 offered something worthwhile that 12.4 does not: Zorin Connect. Zorin combined GSConnect with KConnect. The Lite Desktop using XFCE instead of gnome clashes with GSConnect, so does not offer Zorin Connect. This leads to, in my own opinion, Zorin 12.4 lite with the 4.12 XFCE desktop being the superior product.
I am, however, looking into whether just KConnect will work on the Lite desktop. So far... I have gotten it to install and to open and 'work' but not gotten it to actually connect to anything... still trying.

Swarfendor437

Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:00:37 pm

120 blue jewels to who can spot the error on this informational website:

https://www.saashub.com/xfce-alternatives?page=2

You're too late! I have clamed them! This website is allowing votes for Distributions as well as Desktop Environments! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What is interesting though is a list of DE's I didn't know existed!

Lumina Desktop Environment (well it is for BSD!), EDE (well it is for Unix), Moksha (well I guess I did know it existed, just forgot it is specific to Bodhi Linux), UKUI.

[Footnote: Also listed is xfdashboard that provides a GMONE (their spelling not mine!) shell dashboard like interface for use with Xfce desktop - wonder if it is any better than Arc unless I got my Xfce wires X'd! LOL!]

I wonder whatever happened to the totally off the wall OS, Haiku (Hawaiian for Family), oh here it is: https://www.haiku-os.org/

AvgWinNoob

Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:05:26 pm

:? uuh... is there an in-joke at play here?

Am not sure whether it's me and my computer at fault.. or something not right with ZL_15... :(

Aravisian

Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:10:16 pm

AvgWinNoob wrote::? uuh... is there an in-joke at play here?

Am not sure whether it's me and my computer at fault.. or something not right with ZL_15... :(

No, but it IS annoying, isn't it?
I have still not yet tested whether the "Notebook lid closed" setting has any effect. Have not yet had a chance. Have you tried that, yet?

On a side-note, this is not exclusive to Zorin as a distro. Others have the same issue. I know MX Linux did in 18.

AvgWinNoob

Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:20:44 pm

Am using a desktop.. no 'lid closed' option in the power settings...
Have been using MXL_18 and MXL_19.... experienced no probs other than can't get games to work in Wine... this also appears to be a non-exclusive issue :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

AvgWinNoob

Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:01:19 am

Soo... back on ZL_12
I've had a few beers.. systems have been stabilised.. proceed as normal.

Notice that Task Manager showing far less resource usage in 12 than in 15.
Think I'll stick with 12.4 Lite for as long as possible.. never been a fan of new-fangled bling anyway.. my fone still got buttons on it and it works just fine! :lol:

AvgWinNoob

Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:28:01 am

On a side-note, this is not exclusive to Zorin as a distro. .

Seems so.. I've been a-googling.. (well.. actually DuckDuckGo'ing...) regarding Zorin_15, Ubuntu, and the desktop environment. I've had too many beers to amalgamate.. BUT.. there appears to be a common fault at play as same issue being reported across several distros including non-Ubuntu... now it's a case of narrowing it down.. there can only be so many factors at play

Aravisian

Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:30:43 am

AvgWinNoob wrote:
On a side-note, this is not exclusive to Zorin as a distro. .

Seems so.. I've been a-googling.. (well.. actually DuckDuckGo'ing...) regarding Zorin_15, Ubuntu, and the desktop environment. I've had too many beers to amalgamate.. BUT.. there appears to be a common fault at play as same issue being reported across several distros including non-Ubuntu... now it's a case of narrowing it down.. there can only be so many factors at play

Well, if you want it narrowed down... The strongest culprit is the xflock4. Many resolve the issue by using suspend or by installing Xscreensaver, instead.
Another option is: You may check the programs slock or xlockmore (These should already be installed) and maybe try rolling them back or upgrading them- either way, altering them to see if it makes a difference in compatibility. The xflock4 tries the different lockers installed on your system in succession until it finds one that works.

On my machine, it is working properly without adjustment, so I cannot test it. On my sons, it is not working, but in order to access it, I need his permission, first.

AvgWinNoob

Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:45:03 am

A work-around is one thing... does not solve root cause.. issue needs to resolved at source.. otherwise fix needs repeating over and over.. not good.
What is interesting/intriguing is that something seemingly designed as part of power-management (presumably battery conservation) for laptops is screwing with desktops..??

I have several desktops at my disposal (no laptops.. hate damn things).... most are capable of running Win7 for reference.... if you want me to set one or two up for testing then let me know what you want me to do with them.. :)

Aravisian

Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:53:21 am

AvgWinNoob wrote:
I have several desktops at my disposal (no laptops.. hate damn things)....

Agreed!
I am using one because it is what I have.
AvgWinNoob wrote:most are capable of running Win7 for reference.... if you want me to set one or two up for testing then let me know what you want me to do with them.. :)

As you said, it is a fix needed at the source.