This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] keyring password prompts on startup in ZorinOS 15

Temoshee

Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:47:07 pm

In ZorinOS 12 I could set the keyring password to blank and it would stop prompting for a keyring password at startup. But in ZorinOS 15 Lite it automatically sets your admin password and keyring password the same so I don't want to set it blank. I turned on auto-login but it still asks for the keyring password at startup or reboot. I know there are lots of answers to this out there for Ubuntu, etc. but I am wondering if there is a way in ZorinOS 15 Lite specifically to stop the keyring password prompts at startup other than setting the system password to blank. Something like the slider switch it already has to turn on auto-login would be best but I don't see that anywhere. I see the Seahorse option and instructions online about creating a new folder called Default Keyring but those seem to be about if it happens when launching the Chrome browser, not at startup only. If I change Seahorse will I lose my admin password? I am wondering because of that thing where ZorinOS 15 sets the same system login credentials for the default keyring. Thanks.

AvgWinNoob

Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:12:37 am

If possible go back to 12_Lite.
This way you will also avoid the shambolic suspend/power-management issues that you may not yet have experienced.. meh
I did.... am much happier now! :)

Aravisian

Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:26:49 am

AvgWinNoob wrote:If possible go back to 12_Lite.
This way you will also avoid the shambolic suspend/power-management issues that you may not yet have experienced.. meh
I did.... am much happier now! :)

I almost made this suggestion but I thought I shouldn't. :D

But you are not wrong...

Zorin 15 lite is Great. Don't got me wrong. But Ubuntu brought about certain changes that did not help things any. And those changes were carried over into Zorin as they are truncated in the Base Ubuntu.
Zorin 12.4 Lite is fantastic and I believe well worthwhile.

I do not know how to properly answer the OPs question but I did do a lot of searching to see if I could find anything that was Actually Helpful. Not only did I not, I reached the conclusion that there is no "fix."

AvgWinNoob

Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:30:38 am

I've never been much good at politics/diplomacy... emperor's new clothes and all that... ;) :lol:

Temoshee

Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:18:35 pm

I ended up going into Seahorse (a.k.a. Passwords & Keys), right-clicked on login and changed the password to blank. This stopped the keyring login prompt at reboot, but it doesn't ask for the admin login to install new applications anymore either. In the help files under "Create a new keyring" it says "Leave both the fields blank if you want your keyring to remain unlocked at all times". I figured since it's described in the built-in help file it won't cause a problem. I rebooted and now no login prompts, even when I installed the huge oXygen XML Editor from the website. It just started installing and did not ask for admin credentials. This kind of PC security is not an issue in a basement of a house in a small town in the middle of nowhere :) so I will just leave it wide open for both the keyring and admin login. I did still get a "untrusted application launcher" message the first time I opened oXygen so at least that's something.
I don't know the etiquette. Am I supposed to add the word RESOLVED in hard brackets to the subject line? Thanks.

Aravisian

Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:24:59 pm

Temoshee wrote:I don't know the etiquette. Am I supposed to add the word RESOLVED in hard brackets to the subject line? Thanks.

If you click "EDIT on the first post you made in starting the thread, you can edit the title. Just type in the addition of the word "SOLVED" in the title and you are all set.