This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to check network firewall permission - public or trusted

Finston Pickle

Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:43:50 pm

I had a look in Settings > network > WiFi > security and found that it was set to "default". Would this be public or trusted?

Windows seems to be able to select either - can Z12?

P.S, I always thought that it was strange that I can get no network information from Nautilus > Other Locations > Windows network - or to see other network connected pieces of equipment (e.g printer) - even though they work well together (Apart from when using Plex!).

Aravisian

Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:55:10 pm

Finston Pickle wrote:I had a look in Settings > network > WiFi > security and found that it was set to "default". Would this be public or trusted?

Windows seems to be able to select either - can Z12?

P.S, I always thought that it was strange that I can get no network information from Nautilus > Other Locations > Windows network - or to see other network connected pieces of equipment (e.g printer) - even though they work well together (Apart from when using Plex!).

Zorin 12.4 uses GUFW and you can launch it to view your settings using your standard method of launching; Apps Menu, altF2, terminal, whatever.
Once opened by typing "gufw" in terminal or alt+F2 (or whatever) you will see a small window pop up that says
Firewall
Profile:
Incoming:
Outgoing:
allowing the setting of each option.

Finston Pickle

Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:13:10 pm

Thanks Aravision,

"Home" setting is used on my firewall - presumably the same as "trusted" in other parlances.

What difference do you think there is on the "office" setting?

Swarfendor437

Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:16:18 pm

Finston Pickle wrote:Thanks Aravision,

"Home" setting is used on my firewall - presumably the same as "trusted" in other parlances.

What difference do you think there is on the "office" setting?

This thread should help you Finston:

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux4noobs/co ... n/cv9o7bo/