This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin goes in sleep mode even when watching videos

verysame

Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:19:35 am

Hi there,

I have installed Zorin on a laptop to give it a spin and so far I'm liking it.
One thing keeps bothering me and I cannot figure out how to address this.
Basically, if I leave the laptop playing a youtube playlist full screen, Zorin decides after a while to go in sleep mode.
I also turned off entirely the automatic suspend but still no luck.

Any hints?

Best
Andrew

AvgWinNoob

Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:50:28 am

see the thread on Automatic Suspend....

try and get Zorin 12 instead.. :)

Aravisian

Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:53:25 am

verysame wrote:Hi there,

I have installed Zorin on a laptop to give it a spin and so far I'm liking it.
One thing keeps bothering me and I cannot figure out how to address this.
Basically, if I leave the laptop playing a youtube playlist full screen, Zorin decides after a while to go in sleep mode.
I also turned off entirely the automatic suspend but still no luck.

Any hints?

Best
Andrew

Are you using Zorin Ultimate, Core or Lite?

verysame

Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:04:22 am

Hi,

Thanks for replying.
I'm using Zorin OS 15 Core Essentials.

I'm taking a look at the thread Automatic Suspend.

Aravisian

Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:29:24 am

verysame wrote:Hi,

Thanks for replying.
I'm using Zorin OS 15 Core Essentials.

I'm taking a look at the thread Automatic Suspend.

Ah, ok. With XFCE desktop- which is what Zorin LITE uses, this is a known issue with XFCE4. Sadly, Zorin has no control over XFCE Desktop development.
You are having this issue in Gnome Desktop (Zorin Core or Zorin Ultimate), so it is a Separate issue than what the other thread covers.
First, please logout of your Zorin Desktop using the logout command and before you log in on the Login screen, make sure you are using the Zorin Dekstop and NOT the Wayland desktop.
That may be the issue and fixing that will resolve it.
IF you are not logged into Wayland,
Please look over these guides, here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-h ... ks.html.en
ubuntuguide.net/stop-ubuntu-from-going-to-sleep-while-watching-movies

AvgWinNoob

Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:05:59 am

Ah, ok. With XFCE desktop- which is what Zorin LITE uses, this is a known issue with XFCE4.

So... if I've got this right... the Ubuntu base which Zorin_15 is based on doesn't play well specifically with XFCE4 but is ok with other desktop environments..?

Aravisian

Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:54:12 am

AvgWinNoob wrote:
Ah, ok. With XFCE desktop- which is what Zorin LITE uses, this is a known issue with XFCE4.

So... if I've got this right... the Ubuntu base which Zorin_15 is based on doesn't play well specifically with XFCE4 but is ok with other desktop environments..?

Heh, I guess you could put it that way...
Ubuntu plays quite well with XFCE4 but there are a couple hiccups and this is one of them.

AvgWinNoob

Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:53:46 am

If I hadn't installed Zorin_12_Lite merely days before 15_Lite was released I wouldn't have even realised that something was amiss..

For any newcomers to Zorin who install the latest Lite version.. they're gonna run into this issue and get a very bad impression of both Zorin and Linux in general. Shoots self in foot.. :oops:

First impressions count... and this is not a good one... I am surprised that Ubuntu and XFCE have managed to mangle this between them.. both are established enough to know better and should have sorted this already given that it is a known problem across the Linux ecosystem. :roll:

The unfortunate fall-out is that any distro (such as Zorin et al) combining a Ubuntu base and the latest XFCE desktop catches the frontline flack for fairly basic things not functioning correctly.. it is so frustrating to see something which could be so good not achieving it's potential. As a Windows refugee I wouldn't have had the slightest idea that it was an Ununtu/XFCE conflict.. I'd have assumed that Zorin in it's entirety was carp and looked for something else.

Zorin_12_Lite works just fine :D , Zorin_15_Lite has obviously got issues due to the newer base Ubuntu/XFCE versions clashing. Patch it or pull it.. for the sake of reputation!

*had to boot into Windows earlier.. not nice after being on Zorin for a few days... :lol:

Aravisian

Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:21:27 am

In fairness, XFCE 4.14 was released during the development of Zorin Lite. I do not know if Team Zorin had started building Zorin Lite and had to go back and start that over or if they waited for the release of 4.14.
Either way, it is freshly new and we all know what New Code means.

I won't deny, I am not using the new XFCE 4.14 Desktop Environment. I moved to Zorin Lite and Xfce (4.12) as a Gnome Refugee to get away from gtk3 only to have the newest release of XFCE 4.14 proudly touting gtk3.

AvgWinNoob

Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:20:52 am

I'm still very new to this... and I'm deffo not having a go at team Zorin... I've got the hump with Ubuntu and XFCE though! :lol:

Would I be correct in thinking that ZL_12 came with XFCE 4.12, and ZL_15 comes with XFCE 4.14?
Is is possible get ZL_15 to use XFCE 4.12 instead.. or would you have already suggested it... or would it mean opening another and even bigger can of worms... :? :lol:

Aravisian

Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:37:48 am

AvgWinNoob wrote:I'm still very new to this... and I'm deffo not having a go at team Zorin...

Yes, I agree. But if you want to, you can.:) I have been outspoken about my opinion of Zorin 15 Lite using XFCE 4.14. That's "feedback" and it helps them to know what the users think.
AvgWinNoob wrote:I've got the hump with Ubuntu and XFCE though! :lol:

I am a huge fan of XFCE. I have a great deal of respect for the (very personable) developers. But I think this one falls more on XFCE than it does Ubuntu. I know folks using Arch linux also had this issue, (to a lesser degree, it should be noted.)

AvgWinNoob wrote:Would I be correct in thinking that ZL_12 came with XFCE 4.12, and ZL_15 comes with XFCE 4.14?

Absolutely correct.
AvgWinNoob wrote:Is is possible get ZL_15 to use XFCE 4.12 instead.. or would you have already suggested it... or would it mean opening another and even bigger can of worms... :? :lol:

Most of the above, lol.
Yes, Zorin 15 Lite can be rolled back to XFCE4 4.12. It's not insanely difficult, however there are a few tweaks that won't like it. I will shoot you a PM with details.
A bigger can of worms? No. Does it mean opening A can of worms? Yeah, a bit. But PM will explain.