This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Installed programs missing

Expat47

Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:41:52 am

I've installed TeamViewer and OpenOffice. At least the OS said I did but I can't find either application.
I open the [SOFTWARE] window and search but neither are there.

Aravisian

Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:29:29 pm

Expat47 wrote:I've installed TeamViewer and OpenOffice. At least the OS said I did but I can't find either application.

Could you please hit alt+F2 and type in the program names and see if they show up?
If not, the installation may have failed.

Swarfendor437

Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:45:17 pm

You also do realise don't you that using Team Viewer is a bad move. I used it just once to help a colleague's relative at work to install an AV remotely on their Windows 8 Notebook. Then the 'spam' emails never stopped arriving, asking for me to purchase the latest version! :roll:

Expat47

Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:49:40 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:You also do realise don't you that using Team Viewer is a bad move. I used it just once to help a colleague's relative at work to install an AV remotely on their Windows 8 Notebook. Then the 'spam' emails never stopped arriving, asking for me to purchase the latest version! :roll:

I've used TV for years and have NEVER gotten more than a single screen upon exiting. I do, rarely, get messages from time to time but they're all about updating, and changes to EULA, etc. I even "Like"d them on FB with no ill effects.

Anyhow, your answer was a bit off topic but thanks for the thought.

Expat47

Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:01:01 am

Aravisian wrote:
Expat47 wrote:I've installed TeamViewer and OpenOffice. At least the OS said I did but I can't find either application.

Could you please hit alt+F2 and type in the program names and see if they show up?
If not, the installation may have failed.

Thanks.
I'm getting a negative response to that trick but as I'm not sure of the program's "name" it's not conclusive.

I'm "new" to Linux and have only played around with another distro for a short while. Zorin is totally new and seems to be blocking the user from full control and/or access to the drive. So... I'll go play some more and see if I can figure this puzzle out. No rush as my laptop is my travelling machine and lives most of it's life in the closet.

Thanks again.
Don

Aravisian

Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:37:54 am

Expat47 wrote:I'm getting a negative response to that trick but as I'm not sure of the program's "name" it's not conclusive.

Sounds like the install did not go through.

Expat47 wrote: Zorin is totally new and seems to be blocking the user from full control and/or access to the drive.

I can assure you that you are not blocked by the Zorin O.S. in any way. It may seem that way at the moment; We need to figure out what is giving you that impression. I can tell you right away, most people moving over from Windows carry the suspicion of micromanagement from the OS with them. I know I did.

Let's first, see if we can help you get your software installed.
Hit ctrl+alt+t to open your terminal (Or you can select it from the Zorin app menu)
Installation for Zorin 15:
Paste into your terminal, one at a time, the following commands, hitting enter after each pasted entry
To install Teamviewer (Which I have also used on MS Windsnot)
Code:
wget https://download.teamviewer.com/download/linux/signature/TeamViewer2017.asc

Code:
sudo apt-key add TeamViewer2017.asc

Code:
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://linux.teamviewer.com/deb stable main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/teamviewer.list'

Code:
sudo apt update

Code:
sudo apt install teamviewer

Teamviewer should now be installed. :)

Now, let's grab OpenOffice:
First, you must install JRE Java:
Code:
sudo apt install openjdk-8-jdk

Next, you must uninstall LibreOffice
Code:
sudo apt-get remove --purge libreoffice*

Code:
sudo apt-get autoremove

Code:
sudo apt clean

Install OpenOffice
Code:
wget https://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/4.1.7/binaries/en-US/Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.7_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz

After download is complete
Code:
tar xvf Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.7_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz

Code:
cd en-US/DEBS

Code:
sudo dpkg -i  *.deb

Code:
cd desktop-integration/

Code:
sudo dpkg -i *deb

Once complete, you can launch from your Zorin App Menu, from alt+F2 or from the terminal. I hope this helps.

That said, you may want to use a Package Manger.
In terminal, you can install Synaptic Package Manager for downloading and installing software. There is a learning curve, but once you know how to use it, it is awesome. The first time you use it, it will scare you. :|
Code:
sudo apt-get install synaptic

That's it.
In the meantime, using the Software Channel you see on the right side of your Zorin App Menu should handle most of your other needs.