This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin Os Boot Screen

Antonyb

Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:53:41 pm

Hello i am new to zorin os and everything is going great but i got a minor problem and wondered if it can be fixed when i turn my computer on it get tos zor on the boot logo before i see the desktop is there anyway of it playing the full animation or even disabling it because it always looks like it crashes "which i know it doesnt"

Swarfendor437

Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:37:32 pm

The plymouth theme after scrolling in from left to right should be glowing - that's an indication that the system is working on things before getting to login screen. ;) :D

Antonyb

Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:52:05 pm

i get to the login screen and everything is fine, what i am trying to get at, is the loading screen where it scrolls saying zorin os cuts out at zor its like my computer boots too quick for the boot screen to fully show, i am using an nvme ssd, just doesnt look very good thats all as other distros that had loading screens such as mint and ubuntu where fine

Aravisian

Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:07:07 pm

Antonyb wrote:i get to the login screen and everything is fine, what i am trying to get at, is the loading screen where it scrolls saying zorin os cuts out at zor its like my computer boots too quick for the boot screen to fully show, i am using an nvme ssd, just doesnt look very good thats all as other distros that had loading screens such as mint and ubuntu where fine

Ah... I see what you meant. When you typed "Zor-" above, you meant that is as far as it got in displaying the Plymouth.
Well... That is some fast boot! Can I have your computer?

One option would be to disable the Plymouth Splash (Not uninstall!) which means you will not see that loading screen at all...

Antonyb

Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:15:41 pm

Aravisian wrote:
Antonyb wrote:i get to the login screen and everything is fine, what i am trying to get at, is the loading screen where it scrolls saying zorin os cuts out at zor its like my computer boots too quick for the boot screen to fully show, i am using an nvme ssd, just doesnt look very good thats all as other distros that had loading screens such as mint and ubuntu where fine

Ah... I see what you meant. When you typed "Zor-" above, you meant that is as far as it got in displaying the Plymouth.

One option would be to disable the Plymouth Splash (Not uninstall!) which means you will not see that loading screen at all...

yeah i think ill have to disable it even though its very good looking, like i said i with other distros its not an issue its ashame really as i like the aesthetics of it, can you tell me on how to disable it?

Aravisian

Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:24:10 pm

Antonyb wrote:
Aravisian wrote:

yeah i think ill have to disable it even though its very good looking, like i said i with other distros its not an issue its ashame really as i like the aesthetics of it, can you tell me on how to disable it?

Yes, you can actually follow this guide here as it has screenshots.
If you want to see the Text scrolling across the screen, follow the directions for "quiet." If you do not want to see the text, ignore that part.
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... 04-higher/

Antonyb

Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:26:55 pm

ok ill try that thank you, hopefully one day they will be a fix so i can see the full splash screen, because i dont have the issue with any other distro on the same hardware.

Aravisian

Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:39:19 pm

Antonyb wrote:ok ill try that thank you, hopefully one day they will be a fix so i can see the full splash screen, because i dont have the issue with any other distro on the same hardware.

Fix fast boot? Uh... I guess you could installa bunch of new software and put it in your start up folder. :P

Swarfendor437

Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:40:43 pm

Have PM'd AZorin - I don't know if 'burg works with latest derivatives of Ubuntu. (Plymouth Theme manager). ;)

Antonyb

Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:14:33 pm

Swarfendor437

Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:17:50 pm

I've PM'd AZorin the link to your video. ;) :D

Antonyb

Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:47:58 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:I've PM'd AZorin the link to your video. ;) :D

alright cheers.

Aravisian

Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:08:59 pm

Antonyb, that is very helpful to post a video. I wish more people were willing to put in that kind of effort instead of assuming others can fully understand what is described on their own.
That being said, watching the video, I can only say...
That is One Fast Boot!

That poor Plymouth never had a chance.

Antonyb

Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:17:50 pm

Aravisian wrote:Antonyb, that is very helpful to post a video. I wish more people were willing to put in that kind of effort instead of assuming others can fully understand what is described on their own.
That is One Fast Boot!

yeah i figured it would be easier to record what i was seeing, just wish there was a way to fix it :(

Aravisian

Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:28:56 am

Antonyb wrote:
Aravisian wrote:Antonyb, that is very helpful to post a video. I wish more people were willing to put in that kind of effort instead of assuming others can fully understand what is described on their own.
That is One Fast Boot!

yeah i figured it would be easier to record what i was seeing, just wish there was a way to fix it :(

Looking at the video, I can see the annoyance.
I, for one, Really like the new Zorin Plymouth.

But I also admit, I am impressed by how fast your SSD system boots up.
Did you get Montgomery Scott to tinker with your Grub?

I know on Zorin 12.4, I could disable my Plymouth from running. It was a trick to speed up boot. But, I cannot seem to figure out how to do with Zorin 15.
The only other thing I can think of - is to slow down your boot up.

Antonyb

Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:07:23 pm

this is the first zorin os ive ever used and liked i said in my earlier posts other distros dont seem to have that issue with the splash screen which is why i am confused about it being an issue on zorin just doesnt make the os look good when it does that, and no one seems to know how to resolve this which is quite dissappointing.

Swarfendor437

Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:29:03 pm

Is Zorin the only OS on this machine? ;)

Also have you installed nvidia drivers if the system has nvidia chipset? This can seriously affect the boot logo! ;) :D

Antonyb

Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:42:28 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Is Zorin the only OS on this machine? ;)

Also have you installed nvidia drivers if the system has nvidia chipset? This can seriously affect the boot logo! ;) :D

yes im only using zorin os 15 core, its an amd 2500u integrated gpu

Swarfendor437

Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:56:24 pm

Hmm! I'm wondering if it could be a kernel parameter that needs adding to/amending:

https://ubuntuforums.org/printthread.ph ... 3132&pp=75

Antonyb

Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:50:58 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hmm! I'm wondering if it could be a kernel parameter that needs adding to/amending:

https://ubuntuforums.org/printthread.ph ... 3132&pp=75

i dont think that will fix the issue considering its only the splash screen issue, i had to do nomodeset in linux mint because that used a much older kernal, but the one on here and other ubuntu distros uses the kernal i need which is 5.0.36-generic, the operating system as a whole works fine its just the splash screen cutting out on zor and not doing the full animation before boot.

Swarfendor437

Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:54:33 pm

Having tried different search parameters, I think I have found it is to do with how Plymouth is entered in GRUB, coupled with the infamous SystemD - from this Gentoo forum thread:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7975064.html

"You probably need to include Plymouth and the theme you want in an initramfs if you want to have the splash earlier and longer. If the Plymouth theme is only available after the real root partition is mounted it reduce the time it is display."

Antonyb

Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:11:28 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Having tried different search parameters, I think I have found it is to do with how Plymouth is entered in GRUB, coupled with the infamous SystemD - from this Gentoo forum thread:

"You probably need to include Plymouth and the theme you want in an initramfs if you want to have the splash earlier and longer. If the Plymouth theme is only available after the real root partition is mounted it reduce the time it is display."

just read it not really sure what im supposed to edit.

Aravisian

Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:28:21 pm

Antonyb wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:Having tried different search parameters, I think I have found it is to do with how Plymouth is entered in GRUB, coupled with the infamous SystemD - from this Gentoo forum thread:

In terminal enter
Code:
sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

If you do not have gedit installed, you can install it with "sudo apt-get install gedit" though I just change gedit to mousepad on my terminal.

Starting around line 6, you should see the following
Code:
GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

The thread Swarfendor linked to suggested merely removing the quiet splash parameter.
You could make it look like this
Code:
GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
# GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

Or, like this
Code:
GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

Either way, do that, then click "Save" and try a reboot.

Antonyb

Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:37:00 pm

Aravisian wrote:
Antonyb wrote:

In terminal enter
Code:
sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

If you do not have gedit installed, you can install it with "sudo apt-get install gedit" though I just change gedit to mousepad on my terminal.

Starting around line 6, you should see the following
Code:
GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

The thread Swarfendor linked to suggested merely removing the quiet splash parameter.
You could make it look like this
Code:
GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
# GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

Or, like this
Code:
GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

Either way, do that, then click "Save" and try a reboot.

did the bottom one and got rid of quiet splash all it did was scrolling text when doing the reboot and got rid of the zorin splash screen completely, which wasnt what i was aiming for unfortunately

Swarfendor437

Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:49:04 pm

:?: What happens when you change that 'default' line to:

"nomodeset acpi=off quiet splash" :D

Antonyb

Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:02:13 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote::?: What happens when you change that 'default' line to:

"nomodeset acpi=off quiet splash" :D

Done that now it's a black screen and now the os wont load now great :(

edit managed to get back using recovery so going to revert the grub back to how it was, since it almost broke the os

Swarfendor437

Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:00:21 am

Sorry to hear that. Glad you got back to working OS. I await Artyom's response to my original PM. :oops:

On a side note did you follow the SSD procedure as outlined here?:

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/ssd.html

and here:

http://www.ocsmag.com/2016/04/30/using- ... -on-linux/

Antonyb

Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:29:51 pm

i think based on how long its taken for me to try and fix it,and i appreicate your guys help i think im going to give up trying to fix it now as it seems to be alot of hassle, i think i am just going to end up distro hopping to someone else i do appreicate you guys trying to help me with this issue.

Aravisian

Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:31:40 pm

Antonyb wrote:i think based on how long its taken for me to try and fix it,and i appreicate your guys help i think im going to give up trying to fix it now as it seems to be alot of hassle, i think i am just going to end up distro hopping to someone else i do appreicate you guys trying to help me with this issue.

Distro-Hopping is one of the true joys of Linux.

Who ever went Windows-Hopping?
Nobody, that's who.

Antonyb

Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:36:11 pm

Aravisian wrote:
Antonyb wrote:i think based on how long its taken for me to try and fix it,and i appreicate your guys help i think im going to give up trying to fix it now as it seems to be alot of hassle, i think i am just going to end up distro hopping to someone else i do appreicate you guys trying to help me with this issue.

Distro-Hopping is one of the true joys of Linux.

Who ever went Windows-Hopping?
Nobody, that's who.

well i suppose you could window hop if you wanted to try the old windows 98 :lol:

Aravisian

Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:37:08 pm

Antonyb wrote:
well i suppose you could window hop if you wanted to try the old windows 98 :lol:

A smart person would. That's a step up from Windows 10.

Antonyb

Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:43:49 pm

Aravisian wrote:
Antonyb wrote:

A smart person would. That's a step up from Windows 10.

totally agree

Swarfendor437

Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:32:44 pm

But only in a VM! :lol:

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:10:27 pm

OK, had a reply from AZorin and this is a workaround, from his PM:

"You can install it by downloading the file in the following link and pasting it in /usr/share/plymouth/themes/zorin-logo overwriting the "zorin-logo.script" file: https://we.tl/t-g95hg2PzEz
Afterwards, make sure to run this command in the Terminal to apply the change: sudo update-initramfs -u"

;) :D