This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Apps do not launch

SKD

Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:41:29 am

I am using Zorin OS for a few days in my HP 2000 Notebook.

Currently the problem I face is- Any app downloaded from Software app (Zorin's default app market) does not launch. The problem started with downloading Opera browser, then I tried downloading some other apps too! When I click on downloaded app icon, nothing happens. Alt+F2 command cannot launch app. Even restarting laptop does not solve the problem.

But when I installed Zorin OS first, a few days ago, I installed VLC Media Player from Software app (Zorin's default app market), which is working well.

Your kind help is appreciated.

Swarfendor437

Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:49:28 pm

The problem with the Software channel (my opinion, not fact) is that is possibly a mirror of the Ubuntu Software ... Potentially also only has software that is known not to upset Zorin as another reason? Opera is a closed source Browser - you would be better going to the official opera website and downloading the appropriate .deb package for install then use Gdebi Package manager to install it. ;) :D

SKD

Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:21:28 pm

Thanks Swarfendor437 for your kind reply. I apologise for being late- I am sorry!
I tried according to your advise, downloaded .deb package and installed it. The newly installed app icon also appeared in my software list- but it did not run. No software runs, either it is downloaded from official app store or installed via .deb package, it doesn't run. Today I tried Chromium browser, but the same thing occurred.