This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS 15 Lite Power Off and Restart nor working

arfa

Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:12:42 pm

Hi
I am having a restart and power off issue with Zorin OS 15 Lite which has received rave reviews in the media.
My system is a ASUS X50RLseries Laptop with ATI radeon Xpress 1100 Graphics. When I run the 32 bit OS from the installation USB and after testing I shut down or restart the Laptop does exactly as it should that is to say it shuts down or restarts perfectly. However after I install the OS to the disk when I either shut down or restart - the laptop just freezes and will not power off or restart.
I find it stange that the power off and restart work perfectly when I try the OS from the USB stick but fails to work after I install the system.
I have tried numerous fixes from forums and reinstalled numerous times but all to no avail.
I must point out that Linux mint installed on this laptop power off and restart work perfectly OK as do previous versions of Zorin OS which sadly I have removed now
I am 77 years old and fairly new to Linux so please take this into consideration in your reply
Can you please help
arfa
Arthur Howard

Swarfendor437

Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:27:48 pm

Hi Arthur,

Can I ask if you updated the system after you installed it?
;) :D

arfa

Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:07:32 pm

Sorry for delay. Yes I did update the system and again today but still the same, Will not shut down or restart

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:30:47 pm

Hi Arthur, no worries about the delay. When you next boot up can you please try and hold down the left shift key during boot to show GRUB (Boot menu). Now press E on your keyboard to edit the boot parameters. There should be a prompt on the GRUB screen as to what to press. When you get there, edit the line that starts with:

linux /boot/vmlinuz-5.0.0-37-generic root=UUID ... [and ends with ...] $vt_handoff - add a space at the end here, then add the text below (just to be clear, all you are entering is acpi=noirq :

Code:
acpi=noirq

Press enter when done, then enter once more to boot.

Let us know if this worked.

Another possibility is that your machine may be in need of a BIOS update but let's see if the potential solution works for you.

[source: https://askubuntu.com/questions/632591/ ... just-halts

arfa

Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:03:13 pm

Thanks for your help. My system is dual boot. I followed your instructions pressed E and added acpi=noirq. I could not see any option to save but followed the instruction to press F10 to boot. Unfortunately this did not solve the issue. I did change the etc/default/grub file by running sudo thunar and used the default text editor to make this change
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash = acpi=off" and then did sudo update-grub. Now when I select power off the laptop does power off but when I select restart the laptop powers off. Is there something else I can do to make restart work???
I believe the BIOS is up to date but the laptop is quite old. Thanks again for your assistance

Swarfendor437

Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:08:30 am

Hi arfa, Can you please visit the Asus website and see if they list A IOS version newer than the one you have installed?

arfa

Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:11:31 pm

Thanks again - have installed updated BIOS with the very latest update although my version was 210 and the update was 211 which was to fix something with the Brazilian keyboard but worth a try and I have reinstalled Zorin OS 15 LIte and made sure I have all the updates but sadly still no joy. Is it worth pursuing as it is an old laptop and Linux Mint works OK on it. Maybe a future update to Zorin will fix the issue

Swarfendor437

Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:31:44 pm

Hi arfa, Do you happen to know which kernel version is present in Mint? If it's a lower kernel than Zorin Lite you might be able to downgrade it?

arfa

Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:05:26 pm

Hi using uname -r it shows 4.4.0-119-generic. Incidentally I have tried on another laptop and I do not have the restart power off issue so it is definitely related to the ASUS X50RL