This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Software Center and Terminal installs

phatmeow

Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:14:57 pm

Hi 1st time Linux user here and after watching some Youtube reviews on Zorin OS i have decided that this is the linux distro that i would move on from Windows! To prepare myself for complete migration i have set aside a spare machine and installed Zorin OS 15 Core on its own so i won't be tempted to use Windows on it at any time :P Ok more details on the machine

AMD PhenomII X3 710
HD 4250 onboard graphics
8GB DDR3 1333 RAM
80 GB Samsung SATA drive

I have just installed 15 Core a few hours ago and it went all good! Even the IGP displays correctly on the 1080p display i used so thats a good sign i hope :mrgreen: Now my major concern is to have major software/hardware working in 15 Core and more info : i dun game and use the PC mostly for net/office/HTPC duties these days so the 1st thing i did was

#1 Installed Kodi from Software Center (worked!)
my next 2 major stuff to get working are
#2 Brother DCP 7040 AIO Laser Printer and
#3 Geniatech T-230 DVB-T2 usb tv tuner

Can i settle #2 and #3 simply via software center or do i need to go do a Terminal Install?
For #3 i think i would go with TVHeadend as it works inside Kodi via PVR addon correct? How would u guys install #2 and #3 in a manner even a linux newbie can't get wrong? I confess preferring to get stuff working via Software Center but hey sooner or later have to get acquainted with Terminal right :lol: Hope u guys can help me out here ya!

Swarfendor437

Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:47:38 pm

For number 2 download the driver from here: https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloa ... &type3=625

Download the file to your Downloads folder, open a terminal and follow the instructions on the page that opens the driver download for you:

"How to Install

Step1. Download the tool.(linux-brprinter-installer-*.*.*-*.gz)

The tool will be downloaded into the default "Download" directory.
(The directory location varies depending on your Linux distribution.)
e.g. /home/(LoginName)/Download

Step2. Open a terminal window.

Step3. Go to the directory you downloaded the file to in the last step. By using the cd command.

e.g. cd Downloads

Step4. Enter this command to extract the downloaded file:

Command: gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-*.*.*-*.gz

e.g. gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-2.1.1-1.gz

Step5. Get superuser authorization with the "su" command or "sudo su" command.

Step6. Run the tool:

Command: bash linux-brprinter-installer-*.*.*-* Brother machine name
e.g. bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.1.1-1 MFC-J880DW

Step7. The driver installation will start. Follow the installation screen directions.

When you see the message "Will you specify the DeviceURI ?",

For USB Users: Choose N(No)
For Network Users: Choose Y(Yes) and DeviceURI number.

The install process may take some time. Please wait until it is complete."

Now as for the TV element:

https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Geniatech_T230

phatmeow

Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:41:53 am

wow thanks for the help! i've started on the TV Tuner 1st and downloaded the firmware files shall share how it went! So what comes after once driver + firmware is settled in Zorin? Do i need to install a standalone PVR first then Kodi PVR add on or can i just do everything including scan channels, etc via Kodi PVR addon by itself? In windows i remembered installing NPVR standalone, getting channels and tuner all set up correctly then going to Kodi and installing the NPVR addon and everything just works - how does it work in linux/zorin? Also i see you are running a Ryzen 7 1700X? I intend to upgrade to a Zen2 based APU next year when it comes out but am not sure of the GPU is based on Vega or Navi? Is the Vega/Navi support good to go in Zorin currently as i would prefer to run the APU w/o a discrete GPU :mrgreen:

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:25:33 pm

I much prefer a separate GPU and one with VGA - I have a 7.1/5.1 AudigyRX sound system and that resulted in having to block the onboard HDMI and graphic card HDMI to get the Soundblaster to work every other boot. ;) :D

I did have an old Vodoo TV card in an old rig some time ago and there were (at the time) some codecs needed to be added. Did you know you can use VLC to watch TV from other countries? ;) :D

phatmeow

Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:23:09 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:I much prefer a separate GPU and one with VGA - I have a 7.1/5.1 AudigyRX sound system and that resulted in having to block the onboard HDMI and graphic card HDMI to get the Soundblaster to work every other boot. ;) :D

I did have an old Vodoo TV card in an old rig some time ago and there were (at the time) some codecs needed to be added. Did you know you can use VLC to watch TV from other countries? ;) :D

Hmm eventually decided to go with Kaffeine as many reported it is linux noob friendly and am pleased to report my Geniatech T-230 is up and running and the DVB-T2 channels looks great :mrgreen:

For sharing purposes in case others happen to have the same hardware/OS

#1 downloaded firmware files for T-230 (2 files) on another machine, transferred to usb stick
dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01.fw
dvb-tuner-si2158-a20-01.fw

#2 transfered 2 files to Zorin machine's desktop then these commands
sudo cp Desktop/dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01.fw /lib/firmware
sudo cp Desktop/dvb-tuner-si2158-a20-01.fw /lib/firmware

#3 installed Kaffeine via Software Center

i restarted the Zorin machine and afters the T-230 was detected as "Device 1" when i started Kaffeine and from there scan channels. I had to do it twice cos 1st time i didn't click "add filtered" :roll:

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:39:07 pm

That's the one - great job - I think there are linux dvb codecs. Hang on ... :D

dvbt.jpg

I'm forgetting that old card was analogue! LOL! :D

phatmeow

Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:44:08 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:That's the one - great job - I think there are linux dvb codecs. Hang on ... :D

dvbt.jpg

I'm forgetting that old card was analogue! LOL! :D

oh lovely! the more i could try out and get installation right the more i learn wee :mrgreen:

phatmeow

Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:26:53 am

Ok was previously using line out so didn't notice no HDMI audio! apparently HD 4250 IGP is so ancient that from my research it was offcially supported like 5-6 years ago in earlier kernels? Anyway for those who are in the same boat this was what worked for me making HDMI audio work (Solution #3 PulseAudio Volume Control program)
https://itsfoss.com/how-to-fix-no-sound ... in-ubuntu/