This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

It does not work

Pissedoff

Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:08:00 pm

I followed the instructions EXACTLY for everything to use Zorin but my USB thumb drive disappeared and my computer will not start from the USB thumb drive and I had to push the on/off button just to turn off my computer. Now I have a 32 gig thumb drive that is no longer any good and I'm back to Win7.

Why do the creators/developers of this Zorin/Balena/Linux cxxp say that it's so [censored] easy to install and use when in reality it's pure SxxT? It's no wonder that most people use Windows and will continue to do so. It works, unlike all of the Linux versions that won't even start a computer.

Swarfendor437

Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:29:09 pm

Well I guess you should have downloaded my unofficial manual in the first place to save you some grief - I've not had much success with USB installs unless it uses MultiSystem, and my preference is for DVD's - if your kit doesn't have a DVD writer then there are relatively cheap external ones to buy. I NEVER use balena etcher - I used it once and it was a complete waste of time - others have been more successful. I prefer the tried and tested method and never had an issue - guess your Windows and BIOS settings weren't too good either. ;) :D

carmar

Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:11:17 pm

Use https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/ while on Win 7 - its quicker than using the USB route. I still keep the Balena-created USB since it worked fine on my laptops but my desktop hates USB booting.

Aravisian

Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:22:44 am

Total agreement on not using USB booting. It has a notorious track record.
Plus, I have tried a lot of Distros and done a lot of distro hopping, as well as doing a lot of testing using distros to test themes and I certainly do not want to go through fifty USB's when using disks is a Lot Cheaper.

Sadly, one of the computers (Was Win XP) that I moved to save by installing Zorin 12.4 lite on does not have a DVD /CD Rom. I used USB to install and it gave me no troubles.

PissedOff, I certainly understand the frustration that you feel. When something won't work and you keep trying over and over and over again... It is supposed to Work so you can get "job done" and move on to other pressing matters instead of pulling your hair out.
But I do need to point out that the hardware on many computers is spec'ed to Windows. Windows is the Dominating OS out there and not many hardware manufacturers are going to go out of their way to make it Linux Compliant.
There is not a lot that most Linux developers can do about that except try to create a package that will work on MOST systems.

You probably would have More Luck installing the Lite version. I also notice that GNOME desktop (Honest statement, here...) struggles with USB installs more than others. I do not know why this is. Older Gnome(GTK2) and Mate, Cinnamon, XFCE have much less trouble.

Pissedoff wrote:Now I have a 32 gig thumb drive that is no longer any good and I'm back to Win7.

You can save the 32 gigstick by reformatting it using a disk formatting program. I could give you a pretty straight-forward walkthrough on Linux but these days, I do not have a clue how to do it on Windows. Now, if it was Windows XP or Windows 200NT, I could help... :P