This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Canon Network printer problems

KenW

Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:19:58 pm

Hi I have recently installed Zorin OS 15 its great but I cannot get my canon MG4150 network printer to work. Zorin does not seem to recognise the printer, is it a driver problem? Could any one help with his problem please. My knowledge of the terminal is very limited so please be gentle

Many thanks

Ken W

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:48:47 pm

[Prelim: when using the sudo command you will be asked for your login password to elevate you to root (= Run as ... Administrator in that other OS)]

First off you will need to download all the drivers marked (debian packages) from here:

https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consume ... %20(64-bit)

Once you have downloaded the drivers, including the IJ network printing utility. Extract them in the Downloads folder using the built-in Archive manager.

Next if not already installed, install GDEBI (Gnome Debiain Package Installer) - this won't be in 'Software' so open a terminal (Menu | Utilities | Terminal or Ctrl+ Alt+ T or alternatively use Alt+ F2 for command line window) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gdebi

Now go back to the extracted debian packages from Canon look for the .deb packages, right-click and select install with - gdebi - if not showing, choose other application, then select gdebi. This will install your printer driver and your scangear driver for scanning - note scangear is separate package on that page.

Now you have your printer drivers installed, in the terminal for best results:

Code:
sudo config-printer

You get the same interface as the Menu | Settings one but it sometimes works better when installing printers.

Add network printer (I am assuming this is linked wirelessly to your router for best results) and it should pick up the assigned address given from your router, and choose the appropriate driver. I did do a tutorial video on how to install canon printer on Makulu Lindoz - same method.

https://vimeo.com/194247629

I also wrote how to create a shortcut for 'scangearmp2' here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13895&hilit=+canon+scangear#p60871 There is a link to a pdf I created for TS8100 but the procedure is exactly the same.

See also this guide on how to make a shortcut for scangearmp2:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9554&hilit=+scangearmp2#p47123

So you don't have to keep using the terminal. ;) :D

Swarfendor437

Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:49:51 pm

Any success? ;) :D