This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

please help with my clock and huge log in photo

pleaeehelpme

Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:35:04 pm

I just installed Zorin (lite) this last Saturday the 07th and so far I love it and everything is great and has worked fine on an old Toshiba Portege R835 P70.I have internet working and have successfully changed colors and fonts and style and all that stuff.

I am brand new to Linux and Zorin but have read some material before installing it successfully on a 2009 computer. :D

The only problems so far are my log in to Zorin screen photo is huge, I have no idea why it is so gigantic, then I log in with my password to my desktop, where then the photo is the correct size and exactly the way I want it.Can I please get some help to either resize the log in photo so it is right sized OR just NOT have the photo show up when I try to log in ?

Second, on the log in screen when I log in the time is correct up at the top of the screen and in the center but when it gets to the desktop the time in the toolbar is 8 hours ahead for some reason.I went into the clock settings and it shows the correct time zone for me so I don't know what is up with this but the toolbar clock is seriously bugging me that I cannot figure out how to get it right.

Thank you to anyone who can figure these out for me.

Swarfendor437

Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:39:49 pm

Hi,

I'm guessing here that you may have not altered an existing image and that is why it is HUGE at login, but I'm second guessing. As to the time on the desktop, have you double-checked your Locales Setting are correct? Also check that you are using Internet time for your locale rather than local time. You did point out that it is a 2009 piece of equipment - has it ever had a new lithium cell battery swapped out on the motherboard? They normally only last 3 years tops. ;) :D

pleaeehelpme

Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:30:14 pm

Hi and thank you so much for replying ... okay somehow the time zone was correct on the log in screen and then it wasn't after all set in the clock app but I figured it out. :D

The log on photo is still huge and haven't figured that out yet ...

Next up is that I hooked my old Brother HL 2140 and my laptop recognizes it and the printer shows up but when I print I just get a blank page and I tried it twice so I am trying to determine what to do next from the Brother website.I think it has something to do with drivers and spoolers and all that so may need to determine this through reading a bunch.

Aravisian

Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:35:23 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:As to the time on the desktop, have you double-checked your Locales Setting are correct? Also check that you are using Internet time for your locale rather than local time.

For reference, on XFCE desktop (Zorin Lite) please use the following for this:
- Xfce Menu > System Category > left-click the "Time and Date" option

Log In photo- can you be more clear? Are you referring to the Plymouth Log in Screen or the Session Splash Screen?
The Plymouth should look like the letters Z O R I N on the screen.
The Splash screen is often a wallpaper. You canchange those settings
- Xfce Menu > Settings Category > Session and Start Up> Splash Tab.

Aravisian

Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:37:18 pm

pleaeehelpme wrote:Hi and thank you so much for replying ... okay somehow the time zone was correct on the log in screen and then it wasn't after all set in the clock app but I figured it out. :D

The log on photo is still huge and haven't figured that out yet ...

Next up is that I hooked my old Brother HL 2140 and my laptop recognizes it and the printer shows up but when I print I just get a blank page and I tried it twice so I am trying to determine what to do next from the Brother website.I think it has something to do with drivers and spoolers and all that so may need to determine this through reading a bunch.

Please go to
Settings/Printer Properties
Change or Enter your printer make and model in for CUPS.

pleaeehelpme

Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:16:29 am

Okay so my printer is there listed correctly but "properties" is unable to be clicked/selected.

How do you change the splash settings ? I do see "session and start up" and I went into it but I do not see anything labled "splash tab".

Aravisian

Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:54:53 am

pleaeehelpme wrote:Okay so my printer is there listed correctly but "properties" is unable to be clicked/selected.

How do you change the splash settings ? I do see "session and start up" and I went into it but I do not see anything labled "splash tab".

splashtab.png

For Printer, can you open the printer settings, hit Help> Troubleshoot tab? Follow the steps, there and hopefully, you will find the issue that way.
You also may try hitting View, > discovered Printers and following the steps there to add.

More steps to try:
https://support.brother.com/g/b/agreeme ... edirect=on
Download the Printer Driver Installer
Open a terminal window.

Go to the directory you downloaded the file to in the last step. By using the cd command.

e.g. cd Downloads

Enter this command to extract the downloaded file:

Command: gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-*.*.*-*.gz

e.g. gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-2.1.1-1.gz

Get superuser authorization with the "su" command or "sudo su" command.

Run the tool:

Command: bash linux-brprinter-installer-*.*.*-* Brother machine name

e.g. bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.1.1-1 MFC-J880DW

https://tutorialforlinux.com/2018/03/30 ... ionic-lts/

pleaeehelpme

Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:48:33 pm

I guess I don't know what I am doing.Sigh ...

My printer is there and seems to be recognized.I see it there.The printer help tool didn't do anything and just printed two blank pages.The printer light blinks like normal and then it prints but just blank pages.

And I tried that Brother website but after you click English download then I don't understand what to do.If you click "extract" it is just a page of text and that didn't do anything.

And then I typed all that in the terminal and it said unrecognized command.

But I need my printer to work and I hope I don't have to get a whole new distro or something.

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:26:32 pm

Hi, You need the .deb packages from here:

https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloa ... all&os=128

I'm just going to try the LPR installer but currently updating so will have to wait until it has finished updating the system. ;)

Here you go:

Driver to choos for HL-2140.jpg

I used GDEBI to install the package.

pleaeehelpme

Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:12:24 pm

I am still not clear on this.Do I download one of those or all of them or ?

I thought I did download one of them also but I can't find it anywhere, I can't easily find files so far at all in Linux/Zorin.

If you go into my printers also now I have three of them listed :

1.Hl-2140-series
2.Brother-HL-2140-series
3. HL2140

Aravisian

Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:19:03 pm

pleaeehelpme wrote:I am still not clear on this.Do I download one of those or all of them or ?

I thought I did download one of them also but I can't find it anywhere, I can't easily find files so far at all in Linux/Zorin.

If you go into my printers also now I have three of them listed :

1.Hl-2140-series
2.Brother-HL-2140-series
3. HL2140

Whenever you download a file, it goes to the Downloads folder.
If you open your file manager, it will open to HOME. There you will see Documents, Pictures, Videos and various Standard folders including "Downloads."
If an item you downloaded is not in that folder, then either you are not identifying it OR it did not complete the download.

You can select the file (Only one) just as highlighted in Swarfendors screenshot- that is the one that you need.
Then, open your file manager, go to the Downloads folder, right click on the Compressed .deb file you downloaded and select "Install with Gdebi" from the options offered upon right click.
IF that option is not there, you MAY not have Gdebi installed.
The simplest way to do that is to open a terminal (hit the keys ctrl+alt+t) and type (Or copy paste this) in:
Code:
sudo apt-get install gdebi

Then you will be able to install the printer driver .deb file using gdebi.

pleaeehelpme

Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:19:42 am

Okay I believe I have GDebi in my system correct but am not 100 percent sure of this
And I thought that I successfully installed the two deb files
But I still I can't get anything to print

Swarfendor437

Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:22:38 am

Just installing the drivers doesn't mean the printer is running - you may also now need to install the CUPS package to. I'm not a fan of CUPS and that's why I stick with Canon printers. ;) :D

pleaeehelpme

Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:39:59 am

I tried to download the CUPS and open with the GDebi and it said could not not installed on this system

Aravisian

Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:08:20 am

pleaeehelpme wrote:I tried to download the CUPS and open with the GDebi and it said could not not installed on this system

Gdebi is a package installer only for .deb (or Debian) files. It is not for other types of files.

CUPS comes with Zorin, so it should already be installed. However, just in case, we can check using terminal:
Code:
sudo apt-get install cups

If you get a message that says that cups is already the newest version, then cups is already installed on your system.

The same goes for Gdebi: Now, if you have just tried using it- it MUST be installed.
However, you can check really quickly:
Code:
sudo apt-get install gdebi

Again, if you get a message in your terminal saying that gdebi is already the newest version, then we know it is installed.
pleaeehelpme wrote:And I thought that I successfully installed the two deb files

Which two deb files? Really need you to go step by step and tell us exactly what you try and what you see. Remember, we cannot see your screen.

I understand that trying to get a printer to work is always (no matter what OS you use!) a lesson in frustration.

If you try to install a .deb package with Gdebi that is already installed, Gdebi will tell you that it is already installed and will suggest a button to Re-Install. Are you seeing that?

IF so, that means the drivers are installed and we need to try to suss out what else may be causing your printer issue.