This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Should I uninstall Programs I'm Not Using?

mdiemer

Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:06:53 pm

I have Zorin Core 15. I use Vivaldi browser and Soft Office instead of Firefox and Libre Office. My hard drive is a SSD, 250 GB. I don't believe I used EXT2, so it gets written to. But will uninstalling programs also be bad for the drive?

Aravisian

Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:19:45 pm

mdiemer wrote:I have Zorin Core 15. I use Vivaldi browser and Soft Office instead of Firefox and Libre Office. My hard drive is a SSD, 250 GB. I don't believe I used EXT2, so it gets written to. But will uninstalling programs also be bad for the drive?

No, you can uninstall them without worry.

mdiemer

Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:15:10 pm

Thank you Aravisian. with a small drive, space is at a premium. also, updates will go faster!

carmar

Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:57:41 pm

Swarf wrote about not removing certain programs (see 2nd post here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14979&p=66570 )
I have not seen any deleterious effect on my desktop from not having Rhythmbox or Evolution but I left these alone on my laptop (although I can't recall what uses Evolution and I'm not on my home computers at the moment) since it has a 500GB drive. I have a 80GB linux OS drive on my desktop ;) but separate storage drives, so I don't mind the space usage.

Aravisian

Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:18:48 pm

carmar wrote:Swarf wrote about not removing certain programs (see 2nd post here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14979&p=66570 )
I have not seen any deleterious effect on my desktop from not having Rhythmbox or Evolution but I left these alone on my laptop (although I can't recall what uses Evolution and I'm not on my home computers at the moment) since it has a 500GB drive. I have a 80GB linux OS drive on my desktop ;) but separate storage drives, so I don't mind the space usage.

I have also removed Rythmbox from Zorin 12.4 with no ill effects. However, Swarfendor is right- depending on what historical period you time-travel to.
See, Rythmbox USED TO BE integrated in, but by Zorin 12.4 I see it was not. Removing an integrated program will break the installation- or more specifically, it will remove components that you still need along with it.
I am not sure about Evolution. But Rythmbox is not integrated today. I gather that it used to be. In which case Swarfendors advice on Rythmbox may be outdated as of today. It is not outdated today in regards to Nautilus on the Gnome Desktop, however.
Pulseadio is integrated on Gnome but not on the Lite, so you can install it an uninstall it, if you want on Lite.

That said, you CAN remove some of those components IF you feel up to making hasty repairs right after. I wouldn't recommend it- because I have done it already. Several times...
I remember when I removed Plymouth using terminal, thinking no big deal, right? It took Zorin Core with it, Zorin desktop... etc... Pretty much everything. It took my undies with it, too.
I hastily bumped to console and started doing
Code:
sudo apt-get install zorin-desktop
and such (it was a long list of re-installs) right after it finished and got those components back. And it still worked.
For about a week.
Then I had to wipe and reload. Probably from other screw up I did, I dunno...