This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS 15.1 permanent install on usb won't boot

jayzn

Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:41:12 am

Hello, I hope I can find the help I need here to solve this issue.

I would like to dual boot Zorin 15 as permanent install on fast USB 3 with Win 7 legacy bios MBR machine as host.

I have created Linux distros as permanent install on USB before, and was dual booting Linux Mint for several months last year. I didn't have this problem, but I am choosing not to go back to Mint. I have just been using the native windows 7 since the last several months.

I did the Zorin os install on a brand new Samsung Fit Plus 4k read/write usb 3.0
Partitions are as follows- (disc 3 in screenshot) (Although screenshot shows Lubuntu also plugged in, this was for another reason, I don't have them both plugged in when booting up.)
sdb1 /
sdb2 /Home
sdb4 /Data
sdb3 Linux Swap

Problem is that on boot, I just get a black screen, no error message. There's a 3 mm long blinking white line on the top left of the screen. Even if I wait a very long time, no other signs of life appear. To power off, I had to use power button.

Windows is still booting normally.

Because it often happens on forums that people suggest installing an os alongside Windows,or replace Windows altogether, rather than use a usb stick, I will mention that I am choosing to keep Win 7; and won't be installing any other os alongside.
shot3 Zorin win minitool.1.png

Thank you

Swarfendor437

Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:41:51 pm

OK, Lubuntu is showing up because you probably used the same USB port that you plugged the Zorin one into. USB has a memory issue and it will look for the last USB item connected to it (this can be said of all OS's as it is a USB issue not an OS issue). Try puttng the stick with Zorin on into a different USB slot. ;) :D

I will be removing Windows 7 64-bit on this rig and put it as a VM inside of Zorin. Just like I have put 43-bit version running inside of FerenOS. :D

jayzn

Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:40:44 pm

Thank you for the tip about the memory issue. Lubuntu is showing up because it's plugged into a different port than Zorin, just for the purpose of getting screenshot of partitions.
I only have one Usb 3 port, the others are Usb 2 Is there any way to clear USB memory, so I can use Zorin in the USB 3 port that I had previously booted Lubuntu in?
I am wondering if changing the label of the boot partition from uuid to Zorin could have caused a problem?
Label of boot partition of Lubuntu Usb was also changed to Lubuntu.

jayzn

Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:36:13 pm

I am also wondering if the kernel of the latest version of Zorin might be incompatible with my machine? And if so, what would my options be? If Linux Mint Rosa 18.3 used to boot ok, but I really want to try Zorin, is there an older version of Zorin that is still supported?

Swarfendor437

Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:00:06 am

Zorin 12.4 is still available and supported until April 2021.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/zorin-os/files/12/

jayzn

Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:31:49 am

Ok, thank you, will look into that. Is it possible to clear usb memory?

Swarfendor437

Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:54:51 pm

I would boot off your Lubuntu stick, insert the Zorin one you are having issues with, launch partition editor in lubuntu and format the Zorin one to FAT32 after deleting all partitions - you will need to unmount swap before you can remove it. ;) :D

jayzn

Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:10:48 am

Unfortunately I had a similiar idea already, with disastrous results. Plugging in those usbs and trying to boot into Lubuntu live,just got me stuck in the Asus flash screen. I waited a very long time to see if machine would sort itself out, then pressed the f key that gets you into BIOS. I was just trying to get into somewhere I could get out of. When that failed I powered off, removed usbs, battery and power cord, held power button down for quite a while. Powered up, and was stuck in BIOS.
Machine now only boots into BIOS, no matter what I try. Doesn't respond to factory reset key.. Definitely can't boot into any usb, including rescue media.
So am now asking for help on Windows forum, to see if I can prevent total death of machine.If it hasn't already happened.
Wish I had known that sometimes the newer linux kernels are not compatible with older machines. Both Lubuntu and Zorin are supposed to be suitable for migrating to from Windows 7.
If the newer kernel is in any way connected to my ailing/dead computer woes, then there's likely to be a lot more sad people out there very soon. I wish the possibility of getting into this kind of trouble had been made clearer to me before.
Wish me luck!

Swarfendor437

Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:20:34 pm

Do you have a Rescue Disk - I have pointed this out in the unofficial manual for dual-booters. If you don't have one, see if any of your friends have one, but it must be the same. If you have access to another machine, download the official .iso from Microsoft directly - Boot the repair disc/windows 7.iso and choose 'Repair' installation.

Next launch the command prompt and point to the windows installation: C:\ and at the prompt at C: enter:

Code:
bootrec.exe /fixmbr

and

Code:
bootrec.exe /fixboot

See also: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... tup-issues

Aravisian

Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:28:31 am

jayzn wrote:Unfortunately I had a similiar idea already, with disastrous results. Plugging in those usbs and trying to boot into Lubuntu live,just got me stuck in the Asus flash screen. I waited a very long time to see if machine would sort itself out, then pressed the f key that gets you into BIOS. I was just trying to get into somewhere I could get out of. When that failed I powered off, removed usbs, battery and power cord, held power button down for quite a while. Powered up, and was stuck in BIOS.
Machine now only boots into BIOS, no matter what I try. Doesn't respond to factory reset key.. Definitely can't boot into any usb, including rescue media.
So am now asking for help on Windows forum, to see if I can prevent total death of machine.If it hasn't already happened.
Wish I had known that sometimes the newer linux kernels are not compatible with older machines. Both Lubuntu and Zorin are supposed to be suitable for migrating to from Windows 7.
If the newer kernel is in any way connected to my ailing/dead computer woes, then there's likely to be a lot more sad people out there very soon. I wish the possibility of getting into this kind of trouble had been made clearer to me before.
Wish me luck!

Also, for older machines, I would suggest using Zorin 12.4 Lite. Zorin 15 is all flashy and fancy if you like that sort of thing... but also is carrying a much newer kernel...
While the latest kernel does bear certain patches, those patches relate primarily to things not used in gtk3.18 nor in XFCE4.12 so the latest kernel would actually mess that O.S. running those up, not help it at all.

jayzn

Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:14:55 am

The combination of dual booting and ignorance of the issues caused by the newer kernel in older machines, has completely killed my machine, dead, Totally unable to boot into anything at all, not even rescue media via usb. A windows tech has been doing his best to rescue it, but it's beyond any kind of repair which would not be financially ridiculous to contemplate. I have been reading that the new kernel, old machine issue has caused serious problems for others who have unwittingly booted into a linux OS with a new kernel while ignorant of the damage it could cause.

As Zorin is one of the linux OS being positioned to attract Windows 7 users like me, who are either too poor to buy a new machine, or don't want to go to Windows10, and that all of us are likely to have old machines, I think that Zorin should place the risks and recommendations regarding the new kernel, on the front page, in clear view.Just like putting a sign up indicating a hole in the road, and that people shuold walk around it. I imagine the marketing team could find a wording which would not deter people. This will go a long way towards preventing others from experiencing disasters like the one I have had, and the word getting around not to touch a linux distro.

Remember that I had already had months of dual booting experience with this machine. I had no reason to think it would be any different this time. There was no clear alert, and recommendations to warn me and direct me to the right version of this OS. I wonder if any of the other Windows 10 alternatives are alerting people. It would be irresponsible not to. Especially when setting out to attract the kind of people who don't haveany tech skills, and for whom the damage could incur financial costs that.they can't manage..

Aravisian

Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:34:58 am

jayzn wrote:The combination of dual booting and ignorance of the issues caused by the newer kernel in older machines, has completely killed my machine, dead, Totally unable to boot into anything at all, not even rescue media via usb. A windows tech has been doing his best to rescue it, but it's beyond any kind of repair which would not be financially ridiculous to contemplate. I have been reading that the new kernel, old machine issue has caused serious problems for others who have unwittingly booted into a linux OS with a new kernel while ignorant of the damage it could cause.

As Zorin is one of the linux OS being positioned to attract Windows 7 users like me, who are either too poor to buy a new machine, or don't want to go to Windows10, and that all of us are likely to have old machines, I think that Zorin should place the risks and recommendations regarding the new kernel, on the front page, in clear view.Just like putting a sign up indicating a hole in the road, and that people should walk around it. I imagine the marketing team could find a wording which would not deter people. This will go a long way towards preventing others from experiencing disasters like the one I have had, and the word getting around not to touch a linux distro.

Remember that I had already had months of dual booting experience with this machine. I had no reason to think it would be any different this time. There was no clear alert, and recommendations to warn me and direct me to the right version of this OS. I wonder if any of the other Windows 10 alternatives are alerting people. It would be irresponsible not to. Especially when setting out to attract the kind of people who don't have any tech skills, and for whom the damage could incur financial costs that.they can't manage..

Jayzn, could you provide a link where we could read more information on a known issue of the latest kernel effectively killing hardware?

I agree 100% that if there is a known issue, it must be stated and warned about. I must point out that the Zorin Team does not have a Marketing dept; the Team consists of Kyrill Zorin and Artyom Zorin. That's the whole team.

I'm not the give up type. I cannot help but think your computer can be repaired without dropping a bunch of money. I could be wrong... But I am not aware of many software components that can damage hardware (A few exist... But I am not aware of them being a part of a Standard O.S., at least). IF I am not wrong, that means that the hardware should be usable and it is a matter of programming it the right way.

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:04:56 pm

Just to add there could be any number of reasons why your hard drive has gone pear shaped. If an mbr of a hard disk becomes corrupted (I have fortunately never had such an issue) then that can cause problems booting to. Another remedy I have used is to use is system rescue cd:

http://www.system-rescue-cd.org/

And once able to boot into windows, create your repair disc as soon as possible.