This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Customizing an installation and creating a bootable ISO

AlbertoBN

Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:10:14 pm

Hi Alberto,
I don't know if you are Italian but if you can write here.
https://zoringroup.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=15
Regarding the ISO you want to create, the simplest thing is this:
1) create your own dedicated ISO with all the software for your school;
2) choose which distribution to use for example or core or lite, because it is important (usually for not having two different distributions I recommend you, lite in perspective than the machines you have at school)
3) Once you have chosen the distribution and finished it all, you can clone the machine with clonezilla on a large pen drive, and then transfer it to the machines to be installed (it usually takes 15 minutes, then it goes according to the hardware you have )
4) Once it is poured you will obviously have to change to the machine name.
5) you can create two accounts an administrator and the other normal user who will not have the possibility to have administrator privileges)
I'm waiting for your news.
V / R,
Albano

So here is the thing. I am so exited with Zorin 15.1 Education that I ditched a plan to install 50 computers in different classes at a middle school (where I volunteer in IT so no money made here other than soul uplifting work) with a Manjaro Linux customized image and install instead Zorin 15.1.

This will replace Microsoft Windows 7 and 10 as well as the office suites. The purpose is to teach the kids to think outside the MS box (for starters).

I have 3 set types of hardware and I do realize that I will have to make at least three full installs and setup the customizations I need (like prevent changing the background and the screensaver, passwordless login for students, admin account etc.).

However how do I go about creating an installation from each of those base images?
My initial idea was to:
    Make the images
    Make a clonezilla backup
    At the target machine just install a basic install without updates
    Restore from backup

Another idea is to run a script and apply the changes to a certain extent (Libreoffice customizations will probably need to be done manually per machine)

Is this still the way to go or is there a better option?

Thank you in advance
Alberto

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:03:15 pm

Hi, I will PM AZorin and Albano, Italian forum member who upgraded all the M$ machines in high school in Vicenza, Italy for advice. ;) :D

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:34:38 am

Which version of Zorin?

AlbertoBN

Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:50:14 am

Hi,

15.1 Education.
Thanks

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:30:15 pm

Hi, the perils of modding on smart phone! Albano who has experience has posted inside of your original submission. You can always PM him.

AlbertoBN

Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:23:33 am

Hi,
I PMed Albano.
Will post results and experience for the community as well
.Thanks