This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Reducing my screen resolution (just a bit)

johne53

Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:56:28 pm

I'm trying out Zorin on a computer with a 16:9 4K monitor. Everything's readable but I'd prefer things to be just a tad larger (maybe 5% or so). But the only scaling options I can find are 100% / 200% / 300% / 400% etc. And the next lowest resolution is 2560x1440 (which would increase everything by over 30%).

Is there a way to make more modest scaling adjustments?

Aravisian

Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:58:00 pm

Yes. In Zorin Lite (XFCE) it's easy but in Gnome, it is not so easy. You can achieve what you want by adjusting your DPI. In XFCE desktop, you will find it under Settings, Appearance, font tab.
In Gnome...
Some hacking with a hatchet is involved... Gnome hardcoded the DPI to 96 and superglued it in... But you can still do text scaling easily enough and gnome-tweak-tool can do that for you:
http://sunwxg.github.io/post/ubuntu-highdpi-display/

johne53

Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:50:09 pm

Thanks, that seems to be fine now.

As an aside.... I seem to be using the terminal window a lot so I figured I might as well make it available on my desktop. But each time I re-boot it shows up greyed-out. And if I try to launch a terminal window Zorin pops-up a message saying that Terminal is an untrusted application. In fact, this seems to happen for any executable program if I place it on my desktop. Is there a way to stop those warnings and just have the apps launch normally?

Aravisian

Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:38:56 pm

johne53 wrote:Thanks, that seems to be fine now.

As an aside.... I seem to be using the terminal window a lot so I figured I might as well make it available on my desktop. But each time I re-boot it shows up greyed-out. And if I try to launch a terminal window Zorin pops-up a message saying that Terminal is an untrusted application. In fact, this seems to happen for any executable program if I place it on my desktop. Is there a way to stop those warnings and just have the apps launch normally?

Yes, right click the launcher and go to properties, then to Permissions.
Check the box that is toward the bottom that says "Allow running as an executable."
That should solve it for you.

johne53

Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:12:18 pm

That worked, thanks !

One more problem... (hopefully the last !!) Currently I have 4 x icons on my desktop (obviously all in different positions). But each time I restart Zorin the old positions have been forgotten and all 4 icons are effectively piled on top of each other, in the top-leftmost corner (i.e. all occupying the same position). Does that seem like a bug or is there another setting I can change somewhere??

Aravisian

Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:21:14 pm

Yes, there are some bugs that can cause that but FIRST:
When you log out, is "Save Session for future logins" checked?

johne53

Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:48:08 pm

I'm not seeing that option. Currently I'm only testing Zorin from a USB memory stick (with persistence enabled). But if it helps, I've just confirmed that the same problem happens either after a power down or also just by logging out and logging back in again.

Aravisian

Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:58:39 pm

johne53 wrote:I'm not seeing that option. Currently I'm only testing Zorin from a USB memory stick (with persistence enabled). But if it helps, I've just confirmed that the same problem happens either after a power down or also just by logging out and logging back in again.

Ah- that explains it, then.

When hit the Log Out button, you should get a pop up with several buttons on it:
Log out - Restart-Shutdown
Suspend

Below those buttons is a tiny checkbox for Save Session. However, I do not recall ever seeing all that in Live Mode- that seems to just log you off at the first hint you may be considering possibly thinking about logging off.

johne53

Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:06:41 pm

Ah okay, it seems to be a simpler pop up just offering Cancel, Restart and Power Off

Aravisian

Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:21:55 pm

johne53 wrote:Ah okay, it seems to be a simpler pop up just offering Cancel, Restart and Power Off

Yep- I just popped in a LiveCD and checked real quick- that is what I see, too.
So, we know the cause and - we kinda know the solution, though it may not yet apply.
There is a code you can save as a script that will achieve a similar goal of keeping desktop Organized that Will Work with the setup you are using... But it has a downside- you would need to shut it off with a second script everytime you want to add a launcher to the desktop, remove one, move one around- it basically Locks Down the Desktop. Kinda a pain in the as$.
This is a quickstop, I don't have time at this moment to look up the script but I can supply it later if you want to try it out.