This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED} noob to Zorin Lite trash can on desktop

Waco John

Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:51:58 pm

Found various means of placing trashcan on desktop, but none of them seem to be working. Where to begin?

1. Software/Installed tab shows GNOME Teaks installed
2. I think I need to run it in order to place trash on desktop but I cannot find it from Start button on the 'taskbar' (bottom panel).
3. A search for gnome or tweak does not find it. Tweak finds Window Manager Tweaks. Not it.

I'm pretty lost at this point. Typical of Linux .. several redundant services .. such as Software.

Software and Updates .... BLUE icon
Software Updater ORANGE icon

Then, of course there is APT which I have little to no expertise with.

Any help with these two issues (Trash on Desktop) and Software (management) is very appreciated in advance.

Swarfendor437

Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:05:32 pm

OK, to see the icons you desire on the desktop:

Go to Settings | Desktop:

Desktop Settings.jpg

Software & Updates is where you make the choice of where you get your software and updates from - at point of install this is correctly 'Main Server' but may change to your Country Locale server at point of installation and upon reboot check that it still points to Main Server to ensure you get all necessary updates.

Software Updater checks if your System Files and/or install Applications have updates that need installing.

Software and updates and Software updater.jpg

As for installing additional applications, you can use 'Software' on the bottom right of the menu.

Aravisian

Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:11:53 pm

Waco John wrote: Typical of Linux .. several redundant services .. such as Software.
Redundancy is a good thing. ;)
Waco John wrote:Then, of course there is APT which I have little to no expertise with.

Any help with these two issues (Trash on Desktop) and Software (management) is very appreciated in advance.

Also, you might check into Synaptic Package manager. You can install from terminal easily with
Code:
sudo apt-get install synaptic

APT is quite easy to use. I certainly understand... when it is new and unfamiliar, it seems such a PITA. But it is quite easy to understand and to use.
I use terminal for about 90% of installs.
Including those I download as a package.
Will be happy to give guides as you need.

Swarfendor437

Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:22:13 pm

Aravisian wrote:
Waco John wrote: Typical of Linux .. several redundant services .. such as Software.
Redundancy is a good thing. ;)
Waco John wrote:Then, of course there is APT which I have little to no expertise with.

Also, you might check into Synaptic Package manager. You can install from terminal easily with
Code:
sudo apt-get install synaptic

APT is quite easy to use. I certainly understand... when it is new and unfamiliar, it seems such a PITA. But it is quite easy to understand and to use.
I use terminal for about 90% of installs.
Including those I download as a package.
Will be happy to give guides as you need.

Just tried installing synaptic with Zorin Lite as VM - no go! :o

Aravisian

Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:24:10 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Just tried installing synaptic with Zorin Lite as VM - no go! :o

Hmm? I just installed it the other day (Another wipe and reload... you know me.) It's always one of the first things I install and never had any issues installing it.

Swarfendor437

Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:28:04 pm

Suspect it's the VM - that said it is not 'installed' because I created it for that cursor not showing thread. ;) :D

Waco John

Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:58:26 pm

WOW!! Tremendous and friendly help. Much more than I expected. Thank you all for all the input. Clears up a LOT for me. Got Trash on desktop (and other nifty ones too), and taking notes on the 'software' info.

Thank you all immensely ... and have a peaceful and prosperous new year.

PS
I LOVE Zorin.

Swarfendor437

Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:59:46 pm

And everyone here loves everyone that loves Zorin! (nudge, nudge ... don't we Aravisian!) :D

Aravisian

Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:59:24 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:And everyone here loves everyone that loves Zorin! (nudge, nudge ... don't we Aravisian!) :D

Well, the OS, sure.
I refuse to send Artyom kisses, though.