This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Users big issue under zorin litte 15 . System frozens.

pcfan5

Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:20:15 pm

Hello friends. big issue here. in my parents notebook, that is why I need help , I promised them they would be fine with Zorin litte 15 instead of windows 10 which is a fuss .

I created two users so each one can use his own browser favourites or desktop arrangements..

Whenever the second user (not the one created on the instalation) enters his session the key deposits activates... wi fi already saved passwords aren't recognize and the laptop gets out of internet wi fi conection, the little deposit key screen opens...and no matter if cancel it or introduce the right net password or the user password or the main user password. nothing is recognized, and the whole system gets stucked. there is no way to reboot, only by pressing the power buttom.

I don't know if I should remove the user and create another one.

Disk is partitioned on gpt format , and home is separated ., both users accounts has the same home partition or lets say I don't know if that is the problem...I don't know what other information provide.

/ home user "a" is mounted in sdb 2
/home user "b" is also mounted in sdb2

Both users has the home and internal folders in the same partitioned dedicated for "home", all of that was created by default.

Earlier today I have to force the update manager since the update notification didn't show up.

I guess user "b" isn't limited, since I set all the features such as "installing , accessing printers, etc " in its properties

Notebook as 4 gb RAM
Intel N processor.
I don't have here with me so I cannot give full inxi information right now.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:11:46 am

Hi pcfan5,

Have you checked that both users are Administrators? Usually a second user is defaulted to Standard.
Make sure these check boxes are checked for and in all user settings in respect of wi-fi:

network.jpg
network.jpg (6.37 KiB)

pcfan5

Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:50:39 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi pcfan5,

Have you checked that both users are Administrators? Usually a second user is defaulted to Standard.
Make sure these check boxes are checked for and in all user settings:

network.jpg

Ok I figured out this must get done from the main user session. While second user gets frozen and it keeps asking me for a key to unblock the deposit key. Not even the keyboard responds.

How do I set second user as Administrator?

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:52:07 pm

Hi pcfan5,

I'm going to have to 'install' Lite to VHD in VB. - Back in due course. ;) :D

pcfan5

Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:06:37 pm

Hi! please don't waste your time, my friend. Everything is fine now. Since I reboot. It doesn't ask for the deposit key anymore

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:22:30 pm

You mean the keyring? Anyhow, for future reference, here is how network should be setup:

General Tab:

NetworkGeneralTab.jpg

IPv4 Settings:

IPv4Settings.jpg

IPv6 Settings (if problems connecting to internet):

IPv6SettingsTab.jpg

MTU:

MTU.jpg

The MTU normally sets itself up as 'automatic' = 1500 - here in the UK the maximum is 1432 so check what your locale/country supports.

Will check on Adding User to see if I was correct about standard user and edit this post. ;) :D

Separate note on keyring passwords - DON'T use Chrome:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/495957/ ... ring-popup - scroll down the thread and you'll see why! :o

OK, User in Lite appears to have 'Custom' settings. So looking at an existing account:

LiteUserSettings.jpg

To change the settings we need to authenticate with user password to change them:

Authenticate.jpg

We have some options here - initially we may want to change Custom to either Administrator or Desktop user:

ChangingUserProfile.jpg

Alternatively we can do a custom 'lock-down' of what a user can and cannot do if so desired:

AdvancedUserSettings.jpg

So hopefully this might help someone else having issues! This is why it took so long to make even the briefest start on the manual for Zorin 12 Lite - there is just so much to xfce that the average user might bauk at it - clearly it is better in some regards to LXDE but then there is a host of 'drill-downable' stuff which may be what is needed on older kit to get working - that said Zorin Lite is limited to P.A.E. (Processor Application Extension) processors - unlike SolydX, AntiX and MX.

pcfan5

Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:02:35 pm

It is a pity I didn't see this tutorial before. Thank you so much Swarf for taking the time a patience to do it. (As always -since I joined this forum- I didn't get a notification)

Regarding my parent computer , wi - fi connection seems to be fine, though I will check the configurations according your post. However yesterday night I have to disabled screen saver because the system got stucked when playing / streaming Netflix from browser, it did this 3 times , the last one mom got tired, and no without reason. I wasn't able to restart , panel got dead, the whole system frozen. I had to press physical power buttom .
I know there is no perfect system and Zorin is for free however it is not normal for an user to have to disable energy options, screen saver and block screen in order for the operating system to work properly. Maybe this version has been rushed up on coming out.

-Always talking about zorin lite 64 bits-

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:51:39 pm

Hi, to make sure you get notifications to your post go to User Control Panel (top right on bar of forum page) then select the Board Preferences Tab and checkmark yes where mine is no:

Edit posting defaults.jpg

pcfan5

Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:55:57 pm

Thank you, everything is set as it is supposed to be...maybe the notifications go to spam...but I have set that right a long time ago, aswel.

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:59:41 pm

Hi, not had a lot of time to play with Lite - suggest you wait for Aravisian. ;) :D

Aravisian

Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:01:39 pm

pcfan5 wrote:Regarding my parent computer , wi - fi connection seems to be fine, though I will check the configurations according your post. However yesterday night I have to disabled screen saver because the system got stucked when playing / streaming Netflix from browser, it did this 3 times , the last one mom got tired, and no without reason. I wasn't able to restart , panel got dead, the whole system frozen. I had to press physical power buttom .
I know there is no perfect system and Zorin is for free however it is not normal for an user to have to disable energy options, screen saver and block screen in order for the operating system to work properly. Maybe this version has been rushed up on coming out.

-Always talking about zorin lite 64 bits-

Yes, that is a known problem with XFCE 4.12 and 4.14. The Screensaver interrupts many process, gets stuck and requires a force reboot. While I agree that you should not have to disable the screensaver to resolve, it is the only solution I know of.
That said, I will also admit that I generally find the Screensaver Unnecessary, anyway. In the days of old, it was used to prevent needing to degauss your CRT screen often. With modern screens, that is less often a problem and the newer screens, it is not a problem at all.
The only modern purpose of the screensaver is to use as a Power Saver and there is already a function for that.

pcfan5

Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:35:00 am

Thank you very much. !!!