This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Open editor as root errors.

ozstar

Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:41:46 am

I am trying to open the text editor as root and get these errors. What am I doing wrong please ?

Code:
$ sudo gedit
[sudo] password for david:         

** (gedit:9395): WARNING **: 19:28:46.302: Set document metadata failed: Setting attribute metadata::gedit-spell-language not supported

** (gedit:9395): WARNING **: 19:28:46.302: Set document metadata failed: Setting attribute metadata::gedit-encoding not supported

** (gedit:9395): WARNING **: 19:29:42.066: Set document metadata failed: Setting attribute metadata::gedit-spell-language not supported

** (gedit:9395): WARNING **: 19:29:42.066: Set document metadata failed: Setting attribute metadata::gedit-encoding not supported

Aravisian

Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:44:19 am

Harmless warnings. Essentially, when operating as Normal User, you are operating in your normal user environment. But when you log in as Root, you are operating from the Root environment instead of the Home environment.
Your settings are in Home.
Some are able to bypass this by doing
Code:
sudo su
to elevate to root before opening gedit. I do this, as well, instead of using pkexec.
Alternatively, you can use nano for root terminal text editing. Or, you can ignore the warnings.