This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Video driver issues

jjay0258

Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:57:00 pm

Hi,

I am completely new to Linux and I basically know nothing about it so... bear with me please.

I tried installing Zorin Lite with dual boot on my Windows 7 laptop. It is an old Sony Vaio VGN-AR320E with Nvidia Geforce Go 7400.

Basically everything went fine until I opened Display settings in Zorin. Then the image on my screen got warped and the screen was unresponsive (i do not have a photo, but i tried to explain in the screenshot from my phone). I restarted the laptop and i had blue lines on my screen, more visible on black backgrounds. You can see the images below. The lines are present in Zorin, Windows, BIOS and even the boot screen where it writes “VAIO”. Some issues that I also found:

1. My laptop does not know now what graphics card it has
2. The refresh rate of the screen is shown as 0 in Zorin and “Default” in Windows and I can not change it to anything else.
3. I can not install the driver for my graphics card neither in Zorin (says I am running an X server, but when i press Ctrl + Alt + F1...6 my screen is black with those stripes, no command line) and in Windows some versions either give a BSOD or my screen is black after booting.

I hope you can help me with some ideas how to fix my issue. I would be actually happier to go back to windows :D

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

carmar

Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:08:00 pm

Under Software & Updates -> Additional Drivers, do you see anything listed?

On that tab, I don't have anything listed under my laptop but for my desktop I had to switch to one of the NVIDIA open source drivers - the default selection would run my fan constantly (although my graphics ran fine). Wondering if you may have a somewhat related issue except manifesting as a display issue.

Although, as you noted, seems like a hardware issue.

Aravisian

Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:28:59 pm

carmar wrote:Under Software & Updates -> Additional Drivers, do you see anything listed?

On that tab, I don't have anything listed under my laptop but for my desktop I had to switch to one of the NVIDIA open source drivers - the default selection would run my fan constantly (although my graphics ran fine). Wondering if you may have a somewhat related issue except manifesting as a display issue.

I agree with Carmar on this one. Fingers crossed.
Yow, that is some screen chaos.
You might try using Nouveau drivers.
https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/

jjay0258

Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:33:40 pm

carmar wrote:Under Software & Updates -> Additional Drivers, do you see anything listed?

My list is empty there :(

I will try installing Nuveau drivers and follow up on how it works.

Aravisian

Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:39:14 pm

jjay0258 wrote:

My list is empty there :(

I will try installing Nuveau drivers and follow up on how it works.

Ok, try using terminal:
Code:
sudo apt install [xserver-xorg-video-nouveau]

Code:
sudo apt install nouveau-firmware

For Ubuntu 18.04, ubuntu-drivers and "Software and Update- Additional drivers" are broken. It doesn't always work, may be a hardware compatibility issue. IT works on some.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:53:01 pm

Did you choose the install driver updates during install? I would avoid this as it may have tried to install the latest nvidia drivers which your notebook will not support. Best not to include driver updates during install - this nvidia feature was added by Team Zorin to cater for desktops with the latest nVidia cards. ;) :D

mdiemer

Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:04:17 pm

I have a similar problem. My GS 8400 video card recently died. Fortunately, Zorin Lite 15 works fine on the original onboard video, but this may be because I have Zorin on a new SSD. However, I have two other HHD's in this machine (which is a desktop, about 10 years old). Interestingly, Windows 7 works fine, it found the right Nvidia drivers and installed them. But I have been struggling to find a Linux OS for the other HHD. I settled on LXLE, and so far that has worked well, as it is a very light OS.

Sorting all this out, it appears that the newer Linux systems won't work well with the original video, because they are using the latest Linux kernel, and the Nvidia drivers for this machine are so old they just won't work for the newest Linux systems. Nouveau drivers work until I open the browser, that's when they fail. So far, this has happened only once with LXLE, and I'm trying to find the lightest browser I can to hopefully solve the problem.

So, what about your situation? You have a pretty old video card. Most likely, the newer Linux systems are just too heavy for this machine. I don't know enough about laptops, specifically whether you could install a newer card. But one thing you could try is to put in a small SSD. I paid 35.00 for a 250 GB scandisk. Zorin Lite works flawlessly on it, and this desktop is over 10 years old. Of course, this means reinstalling windows, not an attractive proposition. So, you could just leave this machine as a Windows 7 machine, and get yourself a new laptop and install Zorin. Or an older refurb'b one and install Zorin Lite. Or keep trying to get Zorin Lite to work on it. The problem is that if Nouveau drivers won't work, it may be impossible to find the old Nvidia drivers you need. I have not been able to find them. They are probably obsolete in terms of using them for the latest OS's. They work on W7 because W7 is itself so old that the drivers are exactly what it needs, and it is able to find and install them.

Aravisian

Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:11:42 pm

This too, is why I recommend 12.4 Lite instead of 15 Lite. Zorin 15 Lite uses the latest n greatest Kernel.
I have already repeatedly voiced my opinion of that...

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:15:05 pm

There is still an issue with Zorin for old machines - they don't provide an .iso without PAE (Processor Application Extension) - this won't affect AMD Processors as it is primarily Intel related. If I want to install to an old rig, I would choose from any of the following three (but I have still to check the 32-bit version of MX Linux 19):

1. AntiX 19
2. SolydX Community Stable Edition (32-bit)
(3. MX Linux 19 - to be checked).

You will see a lot of distributions on Linux Magazines, with the cover of the DVD saying 'perfect for older kit' - the question is how old and whether the .iso needs P.A.E. to run. I was curious to see if I could get Sparky Linux 32-bit to run on an old D600 but it needs a minimum of 1 Gb RAM to run. ;) :D

Finston Pickle

Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:49:59 pm

I'm surprised that you were even able to load Zorin onto a Vaio machine.

Mine resisted until the last and had to be put to sleep!

Aravisian

Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:52:27 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:There is still an issue with Zorin for old machines - they don't provide an .iso without PAE (Processor Application Extension) - this won't affect AMD Processors as it is primarily Intel related. If I want to install to an old rig, I would choose from any of the following three (but I have still to check the 32-bit version of MX Linux 19):

1. AntiX 19

You will see a lot of distributions on Linux Magazines, with the cover of the DVD saying 'perfect for older kit' - the question is how old and whether the .iso needs P.A.E. to run. I was curious to see if I could get Sparky Linux 32-bit to run on an old D600 but it needs a minimum of 1 Gb RAM to run. ;) :D

The Toughbook needed PAE and Zorin 12.4 is still rockin' on it with no wipe and reloads or issues since I first installed it.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:00:21 pm

Has the toughbook got more than 3 Gb of RAM? That is what PAE was designed to cope with in respect of the 4 Gb barrier faced by 32-bit. ;)

mdiemer

Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:51:16 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:There is still an issue with Zorin for old machines - they don't provide an .iso without PAE (Processor Application Extension) - this won't affect AMD Processors as it is primarily Intel related. If I want to install to an old rig, I would choose from any of the following three (but I have still to check the 32-bit version of MX Linux 19):

1. AntiX 19

Swarf, I'm looking at trying Antix. But which type of iso do I download? I want 32 bit core or full, but the files are like, iso.sig, iso.zsync, and several others.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:17:52 pm

I would definitely go with MX Linux 19:

From here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mx-linux/files/Final/

This one: MX-19_386.iso

On both a slightly more beefier Dell (D830 with 2 Gb RAM) I still get reports of No pin board present (which I also got on the D600). The beauty of MX Linux 19:

1. It's live desktop needs to be changed to a familiar setting, so unlock the panel, change from vertical to horizontal - it puts it at top of screen. Then drag down to the bottom.

2. Move all the icons on the right of the panel to the left and vice versa.

3. Install '/' to where your existing '/' is (be warned I haven't tried this by just doing '/' and seeing if '/home' will still be there! - this is assuming the previous install has separate partitions using the 'something else' method.

4. Now the clincher for me is this - Save Live Desktop changes? You leave that checked and voila! After install, your modified desktop that you made in live mode is now in the installed desktop!

Oh and another shock! The MX19 is a pae enabled one and it installed on a D600 with only 512 Mb RAM! (Does use xfce 4.14 if that is an issue)

Here's another one for you to consider, Voyager 18.04.2 LTS based on xubuntu (xfce 4.12):

https://sourceforge.net/projects/voyagerlive/files/

See my post here:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2154&start=270#p69142

mdiemer

Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:35:35 am

Thanks very much for the info and links, Swarf. Something has always held me back from MX. It may be I just don't care for a Debian-based distro. Which is ironic, since Ubuntu is Debian-based, and Ubuntu is of course the motherlode for distros. When I tried Debian I found it just did not pique my interest. It is of course a top distro, probably the most influential, at least by proxy, through Ubuntu. Also, there seems to be a bandwagon effect with MX. First it was Manjaro. It was the thing. Now MX is the thing. I usually avoid jumping on bandwagons on principle.

Anyway, I have decided to give 64 bit a try again, as 32 bit has not been much better with this old graphics situation. But I'm going to add back in the 2 GB of ram I took out because Windows 7 worked better without it. But that is Windows, Linux may be fine with the extra 2 GB ram. In case you're totally confused now: The machine can handle 8 GB ram. but Windows worked better with 6 GB. Specifically the graphics. go figure. So now I will see what maxing out the ram will be with 64 bit Linux, something I have yet to try. But I' m going to stick with the lighter distros. Zorin, Linux Lite and LXLE. If I try anything else, it may be Bodhi Linux. but only if I still have problems.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:24:34 am

Well just discovered that Voyager (based on xUbuntu) has an 18.04.2 LTS in both 32-bit and 64-bit.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2154&start=270#p69142

mdiemer

Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:42:12 pm

Voyager looks interesting, I'll keep it mind.

mdiemer

Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:46:41 pm

Well, the latest on this: I was playing around with different combinations of memory sticks, and the latest thing I tried is 6-GB (2 X 2-GB + 2 X 1-GB). and suddenly things are working better. I have Zorin 15 Lite, 64 bit up and running, no display freezes yet. Also have Linux Lite 3.0, 64 bits, going, no problems there either. So I'm wondering if I had a bad memory stick If so, it was one of the 2-GB ones, and it's not in the computer now. (All that turning of the on/off switch in back of the computer wore it out, however, so I had to put in the original 300W power supply. Which is OK as this rig is pretty basic now, no add-in cards and just two drives hooked up).

mdiemer

Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:05:00 am

Spoke too soon. Just had a display freeze (dots all over the screen, neat pattern though). Guess it's back to the drawing board. I may have to try the difficult "install legacy Nvidia drivers maneuver."

mdiemer

Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:59:03 am

I have finally figured out that after the Ubuntu 16 series, Nvidia drivers are no longer supported for old chipsets like my 6150SE. I did try manually installing them using the tty1/bash method, and got the Nvidia installer going, but the install failed, just as it did when trying the Driver Manager method. That led me to the Nvidia forum, where a quick search turned up the bad news.

So, these old graphics won't support Zorin 15 very well. Nouveau just doesn't cut it. Unless I can use an older Nouveau driver, intended for older graphics. Failing that, only Zorin 12 will likely allow me to install Nvidia drivers. However, I had trouble with Zorin 12, can't remember exactly what, but I know I gave up on it. Fortunately, Linux Lite 3.0, based on Ubuntu 16, works and let me install the NV driver (304). Also, Bodhi, though it's a bit non-intuitive.

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:06:09 pm

Hi, I posted elsewhere that I have installed FerenOS on a rig that dates back to 2006 with an AGP 8x nvidia chipped EVGA card but only use the nouveau driver, not the nvidia one. Have you had any success with Nouveau drivers and Zorin? It is all I will ever use. ;) :D

mdiemer

Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:50:09 pm

Nouveau were fine with the 8400GS card, but when it went bad, and I was back to the onboard 6150SE graphics, I get display freezes now and then. Happens on all Ubuntu 18 distros. 16 is fine because it will let me install Nvidia. Actually, the lone exception (so far) seems to be Bodhi. that is based on 18, and has been stable thus far. but I'm not thrilled with it. Another option may be Watt OS. Super light but a decent GUI, but again I'd like something nicer. for now, going to stick with 16 distros, including Zorin 12 Lite. Thought I had saved the download, but although I still have core and ultimate I can't find lite. Can it still be downloaded?

Aravisian

Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:17:38 pm

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:39:56 pm

Well like I said, Feren OS got me out of issues with the aged graphics card thanks to its 'Compositor' in advanced settings - it was using the default OpenGL 2 driver for graphics and once I had changed to xrender and set animations to zero, problem solved! :D

mdiemer

Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:11:54 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Well like I said, Feren OS got me out of issues with the aged graphics card thanks to its 'Compositor' in advanced settings - it was using the default OpenGL 2 driver for graphics and once I had changed to xrender and set animations to zero, problem solved! :D

Interesting. Could this process be applied to Zorin 12 Lite? I am now testing that out. It allowed me to install Nvidia 304.135, but the resolution is only 1000 X something (can't check as I'm on a different system at the moment). This basically gives it the appearance of VGA or Vesa drivers, everything is huge. No way to change it under display as that is the highest resolution offered. and the Nvidia panel does not have any place on it to even see the resolution, let alone change it. Weird. but I will give Feren a look. (By the way, I switched to Nvidia drivers because with Nouveau I had freezes when browsing, but functionality did return eventually; as opposed to the kind when the screen just goes into geometric pattern and nothing is possible but rebooting).

Aravisian

Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:47:20 pm

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:51:10 pm

Aravisian wrote:https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTEyMTc

Yes I seem to remember that incident, however, Nouveau keeps things going better than AMD as far as I know at present. :D

An interesting alternative to dedicated Graphics:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevang ... 3101862386

mdiemer

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:01:17 pm

Aravisian wrote:https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTEyMTc

Linus can give Nvidia the finger all day long, but in this case Nvidia drivers are better, a fact attested to by the Ubuntu Forum:
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2436754 (It's the 4th post down, by morgae, Staff Emeritus).

The Nvidia 304 will work on the 4.4 kernel. This appears to be the last one it will work on. And yes it is superior (in this case) to the Nouveau drivers. I'm not pointing the finger at anyone. It's just the way it is.

Aravisian

Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:07:42 pm

Would you have any issues with rolling back your Kernel? I know that 4.15 works fine on Ubuntu 18.04.

mdiemer

Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:13:04 am

It won't work on 4.15. But I just booted into the 4.4 kernel, and was able to install the Nvidia driver. An hour ago, I was on the 4.15 kernel, trying to print something from a newspaper, and had a display crash, necessitating a shutdown. So far, Z12 Lite 4.4 seems to be fine with the 304 driver. I have a normal Nvidia config. panel also now. So this may work for the time being.

Are you saying I could install Zorin 15 and use the 4.4 kernel? That would be great if true.

Aravisian

Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:22:51 am

mdiemer wrote:Are you saying I could install Zorin 15 and use the 4.4 kernel? That would be great if true.

That I do not know. I had rolled the Zorin 15 kernel back to 4.15.0-20 and that was as far as I could reasonably go without issues. Rolling forward, I had the best performance at 4.15.0-78 and started having issues at 5.3