This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

help: ZorinOS GUI/ desktop lost

diegoman

Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:48:13 pm

As I was trying to install a printer in Zorin, I had to install "dbus" and "libtool" as necessary features; they were already installed but the installation program said the opposite, so I tried reinstalling as follows:
Code:
sudo apt-get uninstall libtool
sudo apt-get remove libtool
sudo apt-get install libtool
sudo apt-get remove dbus
sudo apt-get install dbus

After rebooting, I lost access to the GUI / desktop, I can only login in the terminal. I tried lots of tutorials from other forums for other Linux distros but nothing has worked so far.
Just like that, I'm new to Linux. Hope you can help me, thanks in advance. :D

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:58:05 pm

Hi, What version of Zorin? Your printer driver reporting that the necessary files not being present sounds very dubious. Can you also let us know the make and model of your printer? I would first of all back up any crucial data and reinstall. ;) :D

Aravisian

Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:04:04 pm

diegoman wrote:As I was trying to install a printer in Zorin, I had to install "dbus" and "libtool" as necessary features; they were already installed but the installation program said the opposite, so I tried reinstalling as follows:
Code:
sudo apt-get uninstall libtool
sudo apt-get remove libtool
sudo apt-get install libtool
sudo apt-get remove dbus
sudo apt-get install dbus

After rebooting, I lost access to the GUI / desktop, I can only login in the terminal. I tried lots of tutorials from other forums for other Linux distros but nothing has worked so far.
Just like that, I'm new to Linux. Hope you can help me, thanks in advance. :D

Also, has reinstalling dbus and rebooting resolved the lost desktop environment?