This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

HDMI and Sound Issue

GoldenRule

Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:51:29 pm

HDMI and Sound Issue
1-13-2020, 11:44 CT

(1) I must restart my Zorin Desktop with HDMI port connected to my TV and ensure that the proper setting has been selected by going into “Sound” settings before I can watch video and hear the sound on TV.

(2) And, if I switch back the HDMI port to the monitor, I must go back to the “Sound” settings and select the correcting setting before I can hear the sound from my desktop.

Restarting the computer is a hassle due to 2 browsers and several tabs already opened in incognito-mode typically. I don’t have to do what I have described above in 2 steps if I am using “Windows 10” non-activated version.

I am using Zorin primarily since I built this computer on 7-28-2018 and have been keeping it updated using “Software Updater” and “Software” to the latest version as of this writing on 1-13-2020 @ 11:26 CT. Typical reasons for using Windows 10 are Garmin Map Updater, DishAnywhere, or when I need to switch back & forth between TV and monitor for some applications like streaming-services, etc.

After giving more than 18 months to Zorin, now I wonder, if I should use Windows 10 primarily or try another Linux OS. Before settling with Zorin, I did try a few other Linux OS’s. “Feem” app could not be handled with other Linux OS’s I had tried, so I settled with Zorin. “Feem” does make it easy to transfer stuff from my iphone 8 to Zorin desktop.

I wonder if Zorin will ever fix this issue or someone has already figured out the ‘fix’ for this “HDMI and Sound Issue”!

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:16:38 pm

GoldenRule

Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:32:32 pm

Bottom-line is that the fosslinux link did not work. I have just now left the following post for Kiran on that link:

Hi Kiran:

1-20-2020, 09:20 CT

I tried the above procedure of audio-pass-through with HDMI to TV. It did say “Done” after the adduser command. But, other than that, there is no change. I still have to go through the “Sound-settings” and select the proper setting depending on where I want the sound, on TV or desktop-computer (as it used to be before this change).

-GoldenRule

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:58:37 pm

Thanks for the update. My situation is different. I did not want HDMI as I have Soundblaster Audigy RX with 5.1 Surround sound speakers - HDMI was preventing me using my soundcard even though I was only using VGA connection! Hope you get a resolution soon. ;) :D

GoldenRule

Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:18:37 pm

1-21-2020, 12:11 CT
Thank you too for the help! This issue is my first issue requiring me to be on this Zorin-staff. I wonder if Zorin-staff would ever look at this VERY BASIC ISSUE and provide a fix soon. Otherwise, I may have to go back using “Windows 10 Home 64”.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:31:10 pm

I will PM AZorin to see if he can help.

GoldenRule

Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:17:51 pm

1-21-2020, 17:11 CT
Thanks! Appreciate it.

AZorin

Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:39:56 pm

My apologies for the late response.

If you are still experiencing this issue after installing the latest updates form the Software Updater today, please make sure that you have installed the official drivers for your graphics card if you have an NVIDIA card, as this sometimes resolves issues related to sound behaviour in Linux. You can install the NVIDIA drivers by following this guide: https://zorinos.com/help/activate-graphics-card/

It might also be helpful to install this Gnome Shell extension which provides an audio device switcher which you can quickly access from the system menu instead of opening the Settings app. You can install it by visiting the following page, installing the Gnome Shell extensions add-on for your web browser (from the banner on this page) and clicking the switch to enable the extension: https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/ ... e-chooser/

GoldenRule

Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:38:44 pm

7-21-2020, 14:25 CT
Late or not, your reply is still appreciated!