This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Upgrading from zorin 12 ultimate to zorin 15.1 ultimate

rabdool

Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:44:50 pm

Hello guys, last year i purchased a zorin 12 ultimate license. And i am wondering if it is possible for me to upgrade my OS to 15.1. I am asking this as i recently bought a new ssd for my laptop, meaning i will have to reinstall zorin. Therefore, i checked my email for my ultimate ISO download, only to find that it was a year and a half out of date. If i download this iso, then upgrade via the terminal, will i get zorin 15.1's new features?

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:55:45 pm

I think your best route is to submit a contact form on the main site and explain your circumstances and ask for a discount if one is available - but no guarantees. ;) :)

Aravisian

Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:56:45 pm

rabdool wrote:Hello guys, last year i purchased a zorin 12 ultimate license. And i am wondering if it is possible for me to upgrade my OS to 15.1. I am asking this as i recently bought a new ssd for my laptop, meaning i will have to reinstall zorin. Therefore, i checked my email for my ultimate ISO download, only to find that it was a year and a half out of date. If i download this iso, then upgrade via the terminal, will i get zorin 15.1's new features?

I am sad to say that it will not upgrade directly to Zorin 15 by that method.
Zorin 12 and Zorin 15 may be thought of as Separate OS's. They have a different structure. Both are based on Ubuntu, but based on different versions of Ubuntu.
While it is technically possible to upgrade from one to the other, you cannot upgrade the Ultimate Version of Zorin O.S. because of the features that are added into Ultimate.

Zorin 15 Ultimate now includes Zorin 15 Lite Ultimate and the price has increased. Zorin 15 was developed by the Zorin Brothers and by several other developers that the Zorins hired on for the project and helped to get it released.
So, I imagine those bills must be paid. even so, the price nearly doubling has caused this question to get raised a lot.

When you bought Zorin 12 Ultimate, you helped to make Zorin 15 happen.
You have contributed and helped make Zorin for all of us. If you would like to use Zorin 15, you may try Zorin 15 Lite or Core without any donation necessary. It is worth remembering that you have already donated to the team.

However, Ultimate Version exists as a means to donate to the team and support the development. It cannot be upgraded to for free as that would defeat the purpose of it.