This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Icon Overlay

CARTUJO

Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:42:13 pm

A Zorin OS 15 problem I've found. Or maybe is solved... but:

when I insert a flash drive, my desktop icons overlap.
I have many icons on desktop, and looks nice. But it looks scary when I insert a flash drive, or two, plus an external hard drive.

What to do?

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:26:30 pm

Thanks for this post - this has been the experience of other users, including myself. I did PM AZorin about the issue awhile back but not heard anything - I will PM him again with a link to this thread. ;) :D

Aravisian

Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:44:18 am

CARTUJO wrote:A Zorin OS 15 problem I've found. Or maybe is solved... but:

I have many icons on desktop, and looks nice. But it looks scary when I insert a flash drive, or two, plus an external hard drive.

What to do?

Is this on Zorin Lite? Or Zorin Core or Ultimate Gnome?

For Zorin Lite (XFCE desktop)
You might try in terminal:
Code:
xfconf-query -c xfce4-desktop -p /desktop-icons/center-text -n -t bool -s false

CARTUJO

Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:40:21 pm

Aravisian wrote:

What to do?

Code:

The problem is in the CORE EDITION, but hey! thanks for your tip. I have an old laptop running the LITE 32b EDITION, because I have less than 1 GB of RAM Mem. I will do what you say there. "T4URA" Thanks for your advise

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:08:40 pm

If you have less than 1 Gb RAM (another issue might be non-PAE processor installed) I can HIGHLY recommend MX Linux 19 - I managed to install it on a Dell Latitude D600 that has always complained if attempting to install any version of Zorin - only 512 Mb RAM. The other beauty of MX Linux 19 is you can make changes to the desktop in Live mode and save them for the install so whey you reboot, the desktop is just as you modified it in live mode, the keyboard can be configured to the type of machine you are installing to (Dell Latitude Laptop is listed as one of the keyboard layouts for it).
On the D600 I had been playing with an old 32-bit Beta of Epidemic (Brasilian distro) and MX Linux 19 was able to just use all the existing partitions after pointing to them for '/', '/home' and 'swap' - best light distro out there for really old kit. ;) 8-) 8-) 8-) :D

Aravisian

Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:50:59 pm

CARTUJO wrote:
Aravisian wrote:

What to do?

Code:

The problem is in the CORE EDITION, but hey! thanks for your tip. I have an old laptop running the LITE 32b EDITION, because I have less than 1 GB of RAM Mem. I will do what you say there. "T4URA" Thanks for your advise

Ok, for Gnome instead of XFCE, could you try
Code:
gsettings set org.nautilus.desktop use-desktop-grid false

EDIT: Correction:
"Some background: previously, desktop icons were handled by the file manager, nautilus, currently known as "Files". Gnome developers removed the functionality from the file manager for technical reasons, but also because icons on the desktop do not fit in their vision. Currently, this functionality is supported by a Gnome Shell extension "Desktop icons". This is a very new extension. An option to not align the icons would need to be implemented."
You may need to use Nemo, instead (Just change above to nemo instead of nautilus in the command)